Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

travel motor problems

1weare ยท 2011-08-06 11:10

Have a komatsu 120-3 (1986). Installed new travel motor w/ assembly. (Tongil Industries #TET14) The motor is a two speed, so I pluged that port and hooked up the hoses.(The old motor was single speed) The new travel motor assembly will not move when pedal pressed.The engin does bog down when I try to move that track.I can see the hydrolic lines pulse to that motor. .1-is the assembly locked up? If so can I fix it? 2-I removed the motor off the assembly and can turn the shaft a 1/8 turn each way. 3-Motor was droped when setting in place. 30" into sand.Would this cause it to lock 3-Hooked up wrong at first.Had case drain pluged ,and two speeed port hooked up.Could this be the cause for it not moving? Any suggestions /help would be great. Thanks Pete

Replies6
  1. #1finaldrive2011-08-06 13:15

    I wish you would have contacted us for this unit. We have the technical expertise and the correct product on the shelf for this machine. There are so many people selling Korean and Chinese built drives that WILL mount to machines, but do not have the correct porting, gear ratio and speed. Can you return the motor and I'll sell you what should be in there? The original unit is a Teijin Seiki GM15 single speed. This unit is obsolete. However, we have the factory in Japan make us a single speed GM17 to replace it. You have c-clamps to hold on your forward and reverse lines, did you switch those to connect to the TET14? So many people looking for a quick sale, they actually do a disservice buy selling you a product not configured correctly for your machine. Sorry to read this. I'll address your questions: Let's start with the last one. Tongil drives comes with both case drain ports plugged. I'm assuming there were no instructions sent with the product telling you to remove the plug at the top (when mounted on machine) and connect case drain line. The supplier should have plugged off the 2 speed port for you. (feeling bad for you again..) How long did you run it hooked up improperly? You have no two speed function, so it should not have a huge impact. Catastrophic failure happens when it is hooked up in this manner and you shift into 2 speed, sending oil into what should be "exit only" It is most definitely not good to have the case drain plugged off. It all depends on how long you ran it like this on how bad the damage is inside. Knowing it was hooked up improperly you will need to go through the unit to see what was done (as far as damage) Most likely problem is over pressurization of the motor. Again, extent of damage all depends on how long it was operated. You will most likely find that the thrust ball has pushed through the piston retainer plate, possibly breaking it. The pistons will be heavily scored along with the swash plate. The shaft seal may also be blown. Is their oil leaking by where the sprocket is mounted? You could check the case drain while it is on the machine. But I wouldn't bother since you need to go through it anyway just for good measure. If you find no problems when you pull the unit apart, then I can help you trouble shoot further. If the TET14 WAS hooked up correctly from the start, it is still possible to be locked up. If you do not know how to properly disengage a two speed mechanism (inside the motor), then you always risk this problem. I deal with this daily, people try to save money and end up getting burned by someone trying to make a quick buck and not knowing what they are selling. Most of the time it is the exporter in another country telling them "oh yes, this will work for PC120-3" and they believe them. We have a database that we've compiled over the last 25 years with every piece of technical information for every drive we have come across. (Over 7,000 excavator drives) We do all of the upfront research like this so that when you do receive the product, it is a direct drop in. Sometimes we have to get pretty elaborate too..Like custom making a new sprocket or frame piece along with a fitting and hose kit. Again, sorry to hear of your problem. Let me know if I can help further.

  2. #21weare2011-08-06 14:45

    Thanks for the info. Im hoping I can salvage this motor. Im unsure of configeration ,of the ports on the TET14 . This one has three ports on one side (the middle one being smaller), and one on the other. ( the smallest). Right now I have the smallest pluged. On the other side I have foward and reverse on top and bottom,and case drain in middle. Does this sound correct?

  3. #3finaldrive2011-08-06 15:19

    Send me your email address. Or email me at [email protected] I'll send you a photo of how to hook up that exact unit. Keep in mind, the 2 speed will need to properly disengaged. Did you purchase from out of country? The company you bought it from should help you with the repair costs if did not come with proper installation instructions. I don't really want to work on someone else's product, but I would be willing to properly configure this unit for you. You'll want to inspect it first to see if it is cost effective to repair.

  4. #4finaldrive2011-08-06 16:01

    Yes, on this unit TET14 the port in the center of the A & B (Forward/Reverse) ports is the case drain. The one on the opposite side is the 2 speed port. As explained, you cannot just cap or plug this port and prevent it from shifting into two speed. Email sent back to you. We can continue via email

  5. #57Joys2012-06-30 10:19

    Having trouble with a travel motor on a komatsu pc75uu-2 grey, Not sure how to post ,but thought i would start here thanks, 7Joys

  6. #61weare2012-06-30 20:22

    7joys, If you open one of the oil fill ports on the travel motor, you might be able to see if anything is floating around. My travel motor started jerk and stick. I should of shut it down and have an expert look at it.They might of been able to rebuld it. Instead I kept running it until it was past the point of repair. If you need a new travel motor, contact me again and Ill fill you in on my experience.