Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Traxcavator No.6 pony question

11acs ยท 2010-01-24 16:02

Hi: I am new to the forum and to heavy equipment in general. I'm in Oregon and have just moved to the farm here and acquired a Traxcavator 6. I have the operator's manual and having done several searches can't find the answer to my question, which should have a simple answer. Namely, how do I adjust the belt between the pony engine & the governor? It is too loose, (probably needs replacing) and the governor isn't working. I picked up a parts manual, but can't find a repair manual for this model. Thanks! Victor

Replies5
  1. #1alan627b2010-01-24 18:28

    Victor, you can find used manuals on Ebay or get new reproductions from your Cat dealer or the Midland Press, who makes them for Cat. Same manuals. You'll need your machine's serial number to get the right one's. What you want is the Servicemans Reference book, and the Operation and Maintenance Instructions manuals. About $50 each now printed in an 8.5X11 format, easier to read. If the parts guys are morons, contact Midland Press directly. 1-800-228-7821 they can teel you what's available, I got my D2 manuals from them, great quality. http://www.midlandcorp.com/ContactUs/Location/index.htm Avoid the temptation to buy Jensales manuals, poor reproductions. A couple of antique Cat forums you need to check out. http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/ACME/Portal.asp http://www.acmocbb.org/ACMOC_BB/ A #6 is a rare beast, especially with a winch, the guys will want to see that one! As far as adjusting the belt tension, my D2 and DW10 use shims under the governor housing to adjust the tension, you add more to tighten and remove some to loosen. The dealer may still be able to get the shims, or just get some shim stock and a set of hollow punches. (My set was under $10 at Harbor Freight, they are good enough). If it's been on there a while, use lots of penetrating oil! Longer bolts may be needed, don't be tempted to shim with washers. The governor housing's mounting flange has large unsupported area betwwen the mounting holes, you might crack it. A lot of them are cracked anyway, doesn't seem to affect things much. I don't think the governor is all that hard to take apart, the manuals will show you how. You might be surprised at how many of the gaskets and things can still be gotten through Cat. Hope this helps, Alan627b See ya' on the forums....

  2. #211acs2010-01-24 18:57

    Thanks Alan: That must be the way to do it as I see no other way. Simple solution by the engineers that designed it, but looks like a a hard way to do a simple thing. I've got the punches, and with luck somebody will be able to supply the belt from the number in the parts book. I've got a lot of brush clearing to do as well as some dam repair, and I don't want to burn up the Pony engine. Thanks also for the links! I've been a member of the CJ2a forum for a while & I've learned that there are a lot of very nice & helpful people with invaluable information on these forums. Victor

  3. #3alan627b2010-01-25 23:34

    Glad to help Victor. Wait until you see how the fan belt is adjusted..I still haven't figured that one out yet. It would seem that the diameter of the puley expands...won't understand how that happens until I have to do it, I guess! After having to do a carb rebuild on the pony of my D2 (it's a challenge to get the carb off) , I'm thinking studs and nuts or allen headed fastners would simplify both these operations! You'll learn some new swear words or remember old ones, and learn how to bend wrenches to custom fit hard to reach bolts! Alan627b

  4. #411acs2010-01-26 00:55

    Alan, I had a old volvo wagon that had shims between the fan pulley halves. To tighten or loosen the belt you removed or added the shims. Perhaps it's the same system. Victor

  5. #5Komatsu 1502010-01-26 02:09

    Also some of the old stuff had half of the pulley threaded onto the other half. You would release a locking device and rotate one pulley flange to squeeze it together or loosen.