Not sure if anyone can help me out on this or not, but my trencher is a bucket wheel and is driven off a chain now, I'd like to convert it over the hydraulic drive instead, anyone have any idea's as to what type of drive motor it would take to do that. I've been thinking for some time to do a complete rebuild of the machine, install new undercarriage with drive motors on it, new engine and pumps and do a drive motor on the wheel as well, convert it over completely to hydraulic drive everything and go away from mechanical everything. I know it wouldn't be cheap to do, but if a new one is that 500-750k price range, I"m thinking I had plenty of wiggle room to work with as far as cash was concerned especially if I could find used or rebuilt parts. I've been looking at used trenchers and those are in the 300-500k range as well if not more if I can even find one at all used set up and ready to go. Any hydraulic experts on here to help out with suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Randy, what type & model is your trencher if you could post some pictures of it would be helpful.
koehring 600 with an old two stroke detroit in it, I've been looking for a 700 which would be much better to convert over. I"ll see if the kids can take some pictures and post them here.
To begin, it might be best to find out how much torque your current setup can generate at the wheel. Then select a motor and reduction ratio to suit. I can probably help you select the motor/gearbox once some knowns are known. -Engine horspower (you'll need to hook up a pump unless you have an aux unit) -Aux pump (if available) displacement, also, system max pressure and flow. HP available here too. And/or, determine the breaking force required to punch/grind through the type of material you have in mind. Also, keep inmind, this type of app is seriously jarring for components, and will probably reduce the stated life on typical motors, so I would order a size up...
How would you determine the torque it currently puts out at the wheel? I'm currently wanting more than it has now by about a third or even 50 percent more, so it can dig faster in hard dry material is what I"m trying to achieve. I plan to take the engine out and replace it with a cummins and the pumps required to run a hydraulic setup, I just don't know how to size the stuff required. Any suggestions?
If you're trying to get more power to the wheel, I'd stick with the chain drive. I assume the wheel is using most of the engine HP, and I don't see what you stand to gain by switching to a hydraulic drive, unlike the ground drive which might be more suited to hydraulic drive.
Delmer, I'm wanting to switch engines for one far more powerful than what I have now so I can power everything hydraulic and eliminate all the clutches, drives and chains, sprockets and bearings and several gear boxes not to mention all the knuckles and drive line to transmit the power, most of which needs to be replaced anyhow due to being worn out. To rebuild what I have now would run in that 40k plus in cost, not to mention the engine and the undercarriage and those drives units. My thinking was rather than spend the money on rebuilding what I have now, to update and put new pumps, motors and drives, along with a newer larger engine for ease of getting parts and also make the machine more operator friendly as well.
To determine the torque for the grinding wheel you have to look at the whole line of components from the wheel back to the engine. I am assuming their is something like this: engine->transmission->reduction->wheel.
Randy, have you found your answers? I could probably help out or point in the right direction. It can get fairly expensive to do this but very feasible. You would probably need a pair of 1000 cc or 1200cc rotary power motor or sai motor. Pump size depends on target speed of the wheel. You could run a pair of 100cc sunstrands or jump to a 280 linde. This would take 400 hp to 500hp ideally. New motors are $30,000 give or take pumps $10,000 give or take. Then lots of misc to make it work. If you need any more help you may email me also. Craig
I'll pm you and we can chat more in depth on this whole idea.