Guys, I'm up **** creek right now. I had an operator park the machine on a big pile of snow and something in the fuel system went. The unit has a 015 BOSCH 9017-00117H pump on it. I cannot get fuel to come out of the pump discharge ports. 1) completely bled the entire system, and put 5 psi to the tank to push any air in the lines out 2) replaced the shutdown solenoid 3) removed all the lines from the pump and nothing. Motor turns over and the input shaft (exterior) seems to be turning over. Not even a bubble in the discharge (to injector lines -> to injectors). Seems like something inside the pump has been switched off. Any ideas? I had one guy put a bit of air the system while we cranked and nothing comes out of the pump whatsoever.... Pretty desperate... anybody have any ideas? I'm 160km from anywhere.
That's a tough place to be aninchlow, First let me tell you I'm not an equipment mechanic. I do want to ask how you know the fuel system is faulty? How much is in the tank? Are you sucking air? Maybe you picked up some sludge off the bottom of the tank or stirred some up climbing the big pile of snow ? Is the machine level? Does Volvo have any kind of 'cut off' to shut down the motor if it thinks you've had a boo boo? HTH and how did you get online 160km from anywhere? J.
at lodge at a back country lodge. Was clearing snow I guess and shut the machine down. No way to suck sludge through primary and secondary. Fuel rusn clear. I think there might be something wrong in the bypass or uplifter. have internet through satellite.
Are you sure fuel is getting to the injection pump? If not it'd start at the tank and work your way to the IP and find where the fuel is being blocked. Another thing to check, I've had fuel lines get pin holes were they we wouldn't leak, but would the fuel pump would suck air.
I think first I would be checking the elec shut off that kills the machine. This may be right on the inj pump itself. Machine ran fine when you shut it off??
HOw long was machine shut off ? Over night? How cold is it there? Good luck , It sucks to be down.
What engine do you have in the machine? The 330 should have a d12 that doesnt have an injection pump. The d10 will have a pump. If it is the d10 it only has an external shut off. Make sure it is pulling when the engine is turned over. If not I would try to tie it back with a wire and see if it will start. Run a new hose from the lift pump to a bucket of fuel and see if it will start. It sounds like you have a line blockage or pin hole.
It is a D10. I rechecked all the fuel lines today and nadda. The system delivers fuel to the IP just fine. I checked the electrical shutdown solenoid (just replaced it at the begining of this whole show as I figured it was the culprit and had one brought in before the Easter long weekend. In the end I put the motor to TDC (according to the pump drive shaft and indicator and checked my #1 cylinder valves for slack) and pulled the pump. Nothing was adding up and it seems that something in the pump is in bypass. There is ZERO turbulence or fuel movement in all 6 discharge ports and I know the fuel is getting there just fine (all primers are stiff and the unit isn't loosing pressure until I turn it over and there is zero spray or pressure being pushed out of the discharge ports. Does anybody have a shop manual in .pdf for the 330B LC? cheers,
Further to that does anybody know where the engine TDC indicators are? I couldn't find them. I pulled the flywheel sensor, the inspection port above the starter (used it to thumb the engine forward with the screw driver trick) and hunted all over the front of the machine which is tight and hard to see as there is little room to put your head.....?
I may make myself look like an idiot, but on a couple of our front end loaders they have a low oil kill switch. Do volvo excs have anything like this for the different fluids?
can u hear the new elec solenoid opening and closing when you turn the key? Have you tested for power at the solenoid? Good luck.
The indicator should be on the the flywheel. There should be 2 or 3 inspection plugs on the opposite side from the starter. The flywheel will be degreed to indicate firing point. it should time to 5 btc. You will want to to rotate the engine past top center and then back it off about 30 degrees and come back up to 5 degrees to get the backlash out of the gears. The pinch bolt needs to be tight. Specs are 66 ft lbs but that is not enough it will slip! I will generally put a 2 ft ratchet on the bolt and tighten it.
you would think so. I had the volvo mechanic up here. We couldn't find any indicator, seems there is no post in the inspection hole nor a marking on the flywheel... as far as we could see, he found it odd. As it turned out we just timed it off the pump. Lined the hash marks up and then removed it and re-installed the new pump. Runs like a champ now. BACK in action. thanks for all your posts guys.
Do you know what caused the IP failure? If it was water freezing in the IP you need to empty your water separator more often.
Glad to hear you are up and running. Volvo doesnt have much info on the d10 engine. There werent many put into 330's. Most have the d12 in them. It makes our job as mechanics much harder.