Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trouble on ice

Martin Fleming ยท 2025-03-07 21:58

Hi all, I've got a mid sixties D4d with a 2 way blade. It has ice cleats welded on. They did a good job with the right materials, but they've worn done a fair amount, now about an inch high and rounded edges. I live up in the cascade mtns in Washington on a mile-long road with 5 switchbacks, and its all down hill...and we get a lot of snow. I plow with an international scout, but when the berms get way big, I fire up the D4d and, with the blade angled, push the berms out and off the side of the road. Fine. The problem is ice. The dozer slides on it. I'm not talking just if I'm sidewasy--I'm talking when I'm point straight down or up even. As a matter of fact, even with the tracks in motion trying to get me up the road, I'll be sliding back down. A couple of months ago I barely made it back up! Now this is just on ice, mind you...on snow I'm fine. But I need to do something obviously, cause it's both frustrating and dangerous. I'm on a tight budget these days, retired, and I can't afford to buy new cleat stock (I assume that stuff is pretty spendy). What if I were to weld on to the top of the ice cleats something smaller and more pointy? I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of old grade 8 bolts, say 1" long and 1/2" dia. What about welding them on top on the ice cleats? I'd think that would dig into the ice better. I'm open to other ideas!

Replies8
  1. #11466IH2025-03-07 22:26

    I wouldn't know why it wouldn't work. If you have the materials and the time what is the worst that could happen? They break off here and there so you weld new on? I have seen all kinds of things welded to track pads and bolts are not the worst by far.

  2. #2materthegreater2025-03-07 22:26

    Anything will help, but softer material like that will wear down or break easier than proper grouser bar. But for your use, use what you have.

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-03-08 02:20

    Weld some 5/8" or even 1/2" rebar on top of the worn ice lugs. It's not that expensive and will have better grip than smooth bolts.

  4. #4chidog2025-03-08 03:12

    Like posted above it shouldn't cost much for rebar, and maybe double or triple them to build up what you have, and why not some also vertical on the back side to poke into the ice?. Sounds like an interesting road and place, is it east of Snowqualmie pass? Good friend of mine used to make all those old burlington railroad logging roads out there.

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-03-08 03:18

    I was thinking maybe some vertical studs as well.

  6. #6Martin Fleming2025-03-08 10:26

    Yep, east of Snoqualmie. And, yep, vertical studs for sure. I believe what's happening is that the ice cleats are not piercing into the ice. You wouldn't think thus the case, but, with all the cleats, it spreads the weight of the dozer across and the dozer stays above the ice. That's what I think, anyways. So smaller points, I'm thinking, will dig down in there and give me the grip I need. And I wonder if sharpening the edges of the existing ice cleats would help?

  7. #7chidog2025-03-08 14:04

    I would want a ripper when playing around on ice, if for nothing else, just a good emergency brake.

  8. #8Welder Dave2025-03-08 15:15

    If it's solid ice sharpening the lugs won't make a difference. Your dozer is relatively light so vertical lugs would have a better chance of digging in.