Thought it was cool
Well that's interesting!!
More than one way to skin a Cat. That's using the old bean, pretty clever.
All I can ask is if you are going that high and wide, baring mechanical problems, why not drive it?
exactly!,,,,,,,,,,,,:notworthy
Probably weight issues, 2 axles compared to 16 on the trucks
Photoshopped.:stirthepot
That would be Kirscher Transport out of Virginia, MN. This kind of move is between mines around the "Iron Range" & are generally short mileage moves. They have a lot of pictures on their website. http://www.kirschertransport.com/index.html Larry
Yep, that's them. Proves it's for real.
Corners must get REAL interesting! Pretty cool though.
Yair . . . We did this with drill rigs and buildings with short cross country shifts . . . hook a chain between the bull bars and try and keep it tight. If the front of the trucks are tracking the rest seems to follow, it wasn't really that hard. No tight turns of course. LOL With all that rubber on the deck--and the weight--I'd imagine those trucks in the photo would stay pretty much in line. Cheers.
From Partimers site
One more
Well I'll be! Seems like the shorter turning radius of th inside truck would make nearly impossible to match with the outside. I suppose with a bit of experience one might feel the bind and be able to adjust.
Yair . . . Oxbow Yes mate, in a situation with gear like in the original photo you can feel the binding. Not so much with light structures like buildings . . . we used to sit them on a couple of pallets and no chains of course so they had a bit of come and go, and a couple of ground men of course we'd be going prety slow. Cheers.
Always thought that was a photoshopped pic but apparently I was wrong, There has definitely gotta be a little give and take but when there's a while there's a way!
Thats pretty impressive!
I'll bet our local DOT enforcement officer has had wet dreams about loads like that.
Can't be possible! Is it?
Wow! Cool pictures! I would love to see this kind of scenario personally!
Seen this old post and had to comment. When we started the Basin Electric plant in Buelah, ND in 1978 I was working for Johnson Brothers out of Litchfield. Kirscher hauled some cranes out for us from the Minneapolis area. We left the tracks and house on the old 100 ton American, and side by sided it all the way. Just under 500 miles. I was the chase pickup with an old Ford six cylinder pickup and with the wide load sign up in the breese I did not have power enough to keep up half the time. They ran 70 to 75 MPH side by side all the way out I-94. We ran at night and had a police escort thru Fargo and again thru Bismarck.