Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Type of Fluids For Old Caterpillar

Impact1983 ยท 2018-03-13 21:45

I am changing the fluids in the rear end, front end, and planetary's. The manual states to use 30w. I took out fill plugs and it smells like 30w not that strong gear oil smell. Should I follow the manual and use 30w? Basically everything in this machine calls for 30w or 10w depending on temperature in manual. Or is a gear oil like 80-90 better in this old Cat? 1963 966A. Thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1old-iron-habit2018-03-13 21:56

    For a number of years Cat used one oil in everything to help owners from having to carry many different fluids. I'm sure there is a compatible, maybe even better fluid out there for it, but its worked for 50 years and still going. Why change now.

  2. #2walkerv2018-03-14 01:33

    My much more modern 938g And 2 Backhoes uses to-4 30 for my temps .only my big stuff uses 50 in The axles , it dont have a gear oil smell becuase it is not normal gear oil like You Think. Best Bet Is Too Use The Correct Type Of Oil and The Correct Viscosity For You Ambient Temp Like The operation And maintenance manual Says

  3. #3Nige2018-03-14 10:36

    An SAE 30 oil meeting TO-4 specification would be the modern equivalent of what's listed in your manual. As someone else said TO-4 oil doesn't smell like gear oil, so don't be fooled by the lack of smell.

  4. #4Impact19832018-03-14 20:34

    Thanks for the input guys. I had bought a few 5 gal pails of shell rotella SAE 30. Would that be acceptable too use?

  5. #5walkerv2018-03-14 21:04

    Does it say meets to-4 or the old spec to-2 on it . If it straight engine oil no it not designed to be used as a tranny\ drivetrain oil

  6. #6John C.2018-03-15 11:19

    It will work fine. There aren't any modern materials in the components of that machine that will need the additive packages necessary for what is built today.

  7. #7Bluox2018-03-15 11:56

    No, rotella will work in your engine but you want a drive train oil for your transmission .Look for a Cat TO-4 spec on the oil . Bob

  8. #8Impact19832018-03-15 21:29

    So I should probably just go to CAT and get TO-4 Spec SAE 30 too be safe.

  9. #9Bluox2018-03-16 06:58

    Most oil brands carry a TO-4 oil ,check prices Cat may be competitive . Bob

  10. #10cdm1232018-03-29 18:25

    I like 10-30, just saying, who changes diff oil twice a year?