Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Undercarriage

farmlion ยท 2012-12-01 17:08

Looked at a JD 200LC and the tracks seem ok but seems like some the links are tight. Is that something that will free up in time? will attach a pic

Replies4
  1. #1mrkw772012-12-01 22:30

    put it to work in the oil sands lol im sure if you run it they will free up

  2. #2Lee-online2012-12-01 22:38

    Those kinks look like where it sat on the carrier rollers. Just run it, it should be ok. If you have to, you can spray the worst links with penetrating oil.

  3. #3John C.2012-12-03 01:18

    That's called bridging and it is common on machines that have at some time worked around salt water or that are grease lubricated and been sitting for a long period of time. It may come out in time but from my experience it usually is stuck that way till the chains are worn out. It doesn't hurt much, you just feel it when the kink runs under the bottom rollers.

  4. #4uffex2012-12-18 13:03

    Good day Sir I have seen this on a number of occasions with differing manufacturers the cause appears to be that of the grease used during assembly, (I believe it is one common supplier for a number of excavator manufacturers) The switch to a molybase grease was a attempt to extend the life, before a normal GP grease was used and worked OK. I have taken apart a number of the frozen links these have a material inside dark in colour and very dense which I suggest is the root cause. I tried bathing in a freeing agent - heating - soaking in diesel fuel - non of which worked. One manufacture offered extended pro rata warranty but I guess this is not your experience. If you require detail reports in PDF drop me a email at [email protected] Regrads Uffex