was wondering who here I could talk to on the proper operation of a cable hoe. ie do you always have the band brake applied to the drums or as you crowd or boom do you release them. the ones on my machine are swelled and therefor don't allow you to use the brake locks on the foot controls , or at least you can only get the first stop. I will be replacing them. I did post a short video on youtube under unit 617 cable hoe. thanks for any help JC
When the hoist clutch is engaged (Rear drum on a Unit) the hoist brake should be off completely. When the crowd clutch is engaged (Front drum on a Unit) the crowd brake should be off completely. You never engage the clutch or brake for the same drum at the same time. To dig assuming the dipper is on the ground, the hoist clutch is released and the crowd clutch is engaged with the crowd brake released. You control the depth of the cut with the hoist brake. Cut about six inches at a time. When the dipper is full, release the crowd clutch, engage the crowd brake, and engage the hoist clutch. When the dipper clears the cut, swing to the dump location and release the crowd brake with the hoist clutch still engaged to empty the dipper. When the dipper is empty, release the hoist clutch, apply the hoist brake, and swing back to the cut. Release the hoist brake, and repeat the cycle. You should really never need to have the dipper more then a foot above the ground at any part of the cycle. Be careful because both the hoist clutch and the crowd clutch can pull the boom over the back of the cab. Get a copy of Herbert Nichols book Moving the Earth (first or second edition). Lots of good information on cable machine operation. Cliff
Just an update, adjusted the brake bands per the manual, MUCH better. I have moved over !00 yards with the machine, quite the work out.
ah, the good old days when there were no radios in machines, no mumbo jumbo electronics, men were men and gay meant being happy
Amen, and you had real food when you got home.
This is a picture of how I was seeing this machine for like 15 years sitting. finally I got it. spent a full day plus getting it ready to fire up. started without a issue. but could of been disaster nuts and mouse stuff piled up in front of blower screen, ect.
You should come to the Zagray Farm show in Colchester July 20, 21. I have hy Unit 614 hoe there and will be playing in the sandbox. Cliff
Another picture, First move of the machine ,awakened from a long sleep.
Nice job getting her going. I have a old UNIT 1520 crane. I am wondering what color it is supposed to be ? I see yours is yellow and I have seen orange ones. Mine is white , but I think the Navy painted it white? Anyways nice UNIT ! doug
Doug, it was repainted, but I find a lot of factory Bright yellow in the engine and drum area that is under 40 + years of grease. its bright too. is your machine positive ground ? mine is , I need to find a positive ground oil and fuel gauge. I am sure somebody, had attempted starting it neg ground , years ago, probably why it was where I found her.
Nice 617. Good work on resurrecting it. It will keep you busy with all the little things, and the million grease zerks, but they are a though reliable machine. Dig Dug, The standard color for Unit was Orange, I think it was originally AC Persian orange, but then they changed to a more red "Fire Orange", and either a very dark blue (for undercarriage & stripes) or later black. They would however paint them any color you wanted. I believe yellow & black was pretty popular too, might have even been standard in the later years. My 1220 was originally orange, but we painted it yellow, and my 357 appears to have been yellow from the beginning. I have also seen them in other colors, there was a ready mix company around here that had a 1020 that was green and white, looked pretty sharp too. Have seen pictures of blue and white Units too. If you need the decals for it, I have a local decal guy that made them for my machines, and has them on file, so it would be easy to have him make another set if you want. They are not exactly like the originals, but pretty close. If you guys have any other questions I might be able to answer them, and if I can't, I could point you in the direction of someone who could.
Thanks Ror76a, its so true about all the grease fittings it seems like it takes 1 hour to do them all. two tubes of grease. I might be interested in the decals , any chance you have a picture of yours. what are you running for gear oil, is your machine positive ground ? thanks John
Here is pic with the decal, I can get a close up sometime this week. For the oil in the main case we run a mix of some old amoco pink grease (I will look at the bucket to see what they call it) that turns to liquid when it's warm and 85W90 gear oil. Have to be careful of the mix and level because it will leak out on to the drum clutches & brakes and then you have problems. Most of the other cases we use the 85w90 gear oil. Both my machines are negative ground, have 1 wire alternators on them, I would suspect yours is positive due to having a generator on it. If the generator gives you any problems, I would can it and get a 1 wire alternator. What does yours have for an engine? Both of mine have 3-71 Detroit's. I'm surprised that you have an electric oil pressure gauge, would have thought it would be mechanical unless someone replaced it. I would just get a mechanical oil pressure gauge, the kind where you run a small (1/8") oil line from the block to the gauge. The fuel gauge would be tougher, check the auto parts stores or tractor parts suppliers and see what they say. We just use a dip stick, or like I tell my guys, don't even look, just fill it up.
I have a 3-71 thats really clean running. gen and regulator. the wire harness is factory, and have the build sheets and manual for the machine, there just in poor condition, they were left in the machine when sombody tried to run it years ago, as was told by the owner. bummer cause they were nice. I was thinking of doing the mechanical gauge. the swing clutch is oil cooled. I did put 90w 140 in the main box, I was looking for the thicker oil but could not find any, less granger at $400.00 for 5 gal. are there not seals to keep the oil in the case and off the drums. I thought I saw a few drops of oil below the rear drum band. thank for the input
Hi everyone I just hauled a unit 617 out of some woods. Looks like it is in bad shape. I was wondering if anybody would want it for parts or just scrap it out for the steel. Located in central minnesota. Thanks.
Uecker, If it has the independent boom hoist, I would be interested in that part of it. Also there is someone advertising in the HCEA magazine looking for track pads for a 617.
parts I could use a front hook roller its the pair under the house rollers. ,if its going to parts thanks John
It has been taken to French Lake Auto parts salvage yard in minnesota. They have a website. Just give them a call. Hopefully you could use some of the parts. I don't know much about the crane. thanks
While I ain't too far from you (west MN) I got too much on my plate. Would be a fun project. Rick
Thanks,, going to try and chase them down for some parts
Well they work Fast, all cut up and gone bummer...
Alright, I finally remembered to get a picture of the decal and grease. Like I said the decal is not exactly like the original, but I haven't had any complaints yet. If you need parts, try John Robinson at Unit Crane Parts .com. He has the remaining old stock, and knows where to get a lot of the stuff if he doesn't have it.
did a upload of it in work http://youtu.be/x-dQOTXqyxo
I seen the video on you tube was this machine in Stamford CT I have been looking for one for a while. Would you be interested in parting with it for the right price. It is hard to find a machine with history that hasn't been restored but is in good condition
Check in to this one if you haven't already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0rjCtKQ3w If that one is no longer available and you are still looking, pm me, I might have a couple leads on Unit hoes.
ror,
My another was a sewer and water contractor in southwest Minnesota, out of Slayton area. He used the unit back oh, and I don't know what model it was. I have just started to look for an old one somewhere sitting in the Fencerow or something
Hope your search yields a good result
I know a guy with a few Unit backhoes for sale here in Michigan, shipping might be a deal breaker for you though. PM me if you want his contact information.