Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Used Backhoe Buying Advice (JD310, Case 580L Stall Tests)

Seaward ยท 2011-02-05 07:46

Hello all, I've been lurking here for a while learning as much as I can about the various models of backhoe's. I will buying one soon for homeowner use. So far I am thinking I will end up with a Case 580 or JD 310. I will be looking at a 99 580L and an 86 JD 310C tomorrow and have seen reference made to performing engine stall, hydraulic stall and combined stall tests prior to purchasing a hoe. How exactly would I conduct those tests, are they model specific? Any help would be great.

Replies6
  1. #1Seaward2011-02-05 07:49

    What I've learned about buying a used hoe so far thanks to this site. -Look at overall conditon of TLB (properly greased pins, loader and hoe buckets not abused/weld repaired) -Make sure exhaust is not excessively smokey -Visually check cylinders for leaks -Shake loader and hoe to check for slop -machine should be able to lift and hold itself at idle to verify hydraulic pump strength -after warming up to operation temp verify TLB will spin tires against a pile (I assume in first gear) -finally the stall tests mentioned above which I'm unsure of how to complete. If anyone can think of anything I am missing or knows the details about stall tests and why they are done please feel free to add, I was kind of just writing out a list for myself.

  2. #2alrman2011-02-05 17:30

    Welcome to HEF Seaward. If it is 4wd you will want to add - checking play at king pins; oil leaks at hubs ; noise at cv joints. Also check for any movement at the rear axles / hubs. Here is stall test procedure - use 'LE' spec (non turbo)

  3. #3Deon2011-02-05 18:56

    I don't know about the Case but the 310C and 310D had the rusty cab syndrome. I believe its due to poor paint coverage and leaking window and door seals. I needed to rebuild mine. It is now better than new as I painted the cab with epoxy/clearcoat and installed all new window seals and redesigned the rear drop down window to keep water out. Another thing to look out for on the extendahoe model is the wear bars in the dipper stick. They are almost impossible to replace. Mine needs doing and I am going to convert it to the Cat 416 design with nylon pads on the ends of the tube so I can easily refurbish later and no more of messy grease all over the slides. Once that is done I am ready to repaint the rest of the machine. Lots of work but the old thing works well and these models are known for nice working hoe controls and reliability so I am happy with my old girl. Oh, old machines are only good for guys with tools and patience so you may be best off with the newer one. Inspect all the bushings to be sure none of the pins have worn into the actual casting or boom. I found lots of those while I was shopping. They can not be refurbished without massive machine works or new castings. Good luck.

  4. #4Seaward2011-02-06 20:59

    Thanks a bunch for the stall test! Also for the extra items to keep an eye on. After a year long search for a good deal on a backhoe I missed the deal I'd been looking for saturday. Sold two hours before I got there. 86 JD 310C, 4x4, Ext-hoe, 7700 hrs, rebuilt engine with 1000hrs, no leaks, nice cab for the age, tight all around and came with an 8' two way plow in excellent condition mounted in the loader. $14,500 Found and purchased this afternoon... 88 JD 410C, 4x4, std hoe, brand spanking new rear tires 60% front, great cab only slightly rusted at bottom of doors, no leaks except for weeping boom cylinder, power steering cylinder, and valve body on hoe controls, CAT style hoe controls, great shape loader bucket with BOCE. Hour meter broken but estimated at 10,000 hours by what seemed to be a very honest seller. The machine was tight, clean and well greased. Hoe also had about a 3 inch crack, 3/4 of the way up the boom which had been weld repaired a half inch plate reinforcment plate had been welded to the bottom of the boom as well. Seller said it was purchased by him that way and has never been a problem. $14,500. I'm pumped to find the deal and jumped on it right away but I was hoping for a sanity check. Two great deals on back to back days or just an average value?

  5. #5BBoomerBootCamp2011-02-07 00:29

    I own a 410G, and I've never had a regret. Good luck with your new toy!

  6. #6Deon2011-02-07 18:00

    Seaward, Nice to hear of your find. If your like me you found more bad machines than good. If you get a chance, post a photo or two. Have fun working with it and on it. Thats what I do.