Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Used Bobcat VS Deere

Nimar ยท 2025-08-20 00:16

Hello Guys: I am new to this forum and the skid steer world. I am looking to buys a used skid steer and I have narrowed down my choices to two different units a 2018 Bobcat S57 with under 1400 hours and a 2015 Deere 318E with about 1800 hours`. Based on my online research the two units' specs are very similar. The Deere is couple of thousands cheaper, and I was told it has a leaky drive motor which will be repaired prior to the sale. The Bobcat was a Herc rental unit, and it seems it is work ready. I was wondering about the reliability of the two units, ease and cost of repair and etc. Bobcat is more than twice farther from me than the Deere. I have been trying to get as much information as I can and it seems the two units are very similar. I appreciate any input, Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-08-20 03:32

    A leaky drive motor could need complete replacement. Leaks are often the result of internal damage and not just bad seals. If it is internal damage the other motor might not be far behind. Would be good to see what caused the leak so it isn't just a band aid repair with new seals.

  2. #2excavator2025-08-20 11:14

    One thing you can do is a search here on HEF. Check to see how many threads are posted for each machine model, it's not an end all but it will give you some idea on problems others have encountered with each one. Have you had experience dealing with either the Deere or Bobcat dealer in your area? Dealer support or lack of it can be a big deal.

  3. #3Nimar2025-08-20 16:00

    Thank you both for the replies. I have couple of dealerships for each brand around me. Having said that, it seems the Deere has just its own centers versus the Bobcat which are multi brand dealerships. I am very hands on with car and engine restoration (not an engine builder) and trying to understand which brand is easier and more economical to work with. These are almost 10 years old machines and even though I don't think under 2000 hours is lot of usage for them, who knows what may fail tomorrow.

  4. #4thendrix2025-08-21 07:04

    From my experience, there's not a skid steer that's easy to work on. Everything is crammed in a pretty small package. I've never owned a Bobcat or Deere skid steer, but from the Ag side, John Deere is expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, and expensive to repair. Like said earlier, it already having a drive that is leaking would make me leary

  5. #5Old Doug2025-08-21 07:37

    Like others have pointed out deal support would be a big deal for me. If you could try both out and see how you liked how they were to operate that could be a deal to. If I had to buy either one from what you have said I like the bobcat better . It would be great to have a crystal ball to look into the future and see how things turn out after you buy one or the other. I needed a skid steer bad and didn't want to borrow a lot of money . I found a 1835 Case . I bought it and have been very lucky . It has worked out great I haven't had a lot of problems with it and I happen to find another for parts . One of my good buddy's almost a brother happen to buy a 1835 Case to just lately .

  6. #6Legdoc2025-08-21 23:28

    Welcome to HEF