After looking around for a backhoe for quite some time, I finally managed to buy a 93 cat 416 B from an auction. Before putting it to work, I want to make sure everything works and is serviced properly. Besides a good size dent in one of the rear rims (which makes me believe causes the slow leak), a rusted up front bucket bushing and a badly worn upper swing bearing, I could not find any problems on the machine. When I tried to buy a shop manual from several places, I found out they are outrageously expensive. (up to $ 850, approx.) True, the manuals seem to include about 4 models, but all I need is one of them. I feel there should be a cheaper way, perhaps a pdf download; but I can't seem to find anything of that nature that is safe. If someone of you folks out there has a lead, please let me know. Thank you.
I picked up mine off ebay, was still $300.00. Must be somewhat rare, that's the most I've paid for a service manual.
Well, quackattak, the cheapest one I saw on ebay was about $ 400.- ,incl. shipping....
You may get one new from the Cat dealer for cheaper than that.
I asked the Cat dealer of our area for a service manual, haven't gotten a quote as yet.Thanks d9gdon.
Fred, I too just purchased a 95' cat 416B. I also purchased the parts and owners manual but, like you said, the service manuals are just outrageous. I'm not sure if we can help each other out with manuals but if you interested let me know. Thats assuming 93' and 95' are covered together. Thanks, Brady
Brady, What where your thoughts about helping each other out, since we both have a parts book but no service manual; I haven't heard from the parts department yet, they promised me to look for a used one for me. I can let you know once I can get a hold of one. As to whether the manual covers both of our machines, I don't know, would have to ask our dealers. Regards Fred
Fred, Sorry, I didn't know you had the parts manual. I'm willing to share some the expense on purchasing the service manual, if the model numbers work out. The operation and maintenance manual I have covers the following serial numbers 8SG1-up, 5YJ1-up, 6MJ1-up, 7EJ1-up, 3KK1-up, 8ZK1-up, 6KL1-up and 7FL1-up. Does your machine fit any of the above numbers? Brady
Hello BradyA, I don't have an operation and maintenance manual but my parts book covers 8SG1-Up and 8ZK1-Up. According to my machine's serial number 8SG1, it is British made; whereas 8ZK1 is US made, as far as I know. Today I talked to the person who sold me the loader and he promised to talk to the former owner in regard to a shop repair manual. Will await his response. Fred
Hello Brady, It doesn't look like I can get a manual from the former owner of my machine, but there is somebody else I know who has a 416 B and I remember him saying of selling his business. The trouble is, he's sick at present and can't be bothered, but if you can wait a few days I'll approach him about the manual later. Fred
Fred, Part number for your service manual is SENR5800, sells at my local dealer for $503.23 new, and thats a steal compared to other service manuals for Cat equipment..reason they tend to be expensive is Cat dealers would love for you to bring your equipment in, and at $112 an hour in labor, it would only take one medium sized repair for this cost to be justified for you..you could buy a subscription to SIS which would run you even more than $500
Thanks for your input, ibleedyellow; you do have a point, but I'm not in a particular hurry for the manual. Our dealer here wants $ 508.56 for a new one. I still want to see whether I can possibly get a used one.... Fred
Hey Fred, Just let me know about the manual. Thanks for the 411 about the serial number. I had no clue. Thanks, Brady
I bought mine for the purpose of trans problems I was having, the input shaft was ruined along with the case, I replaced everything including pump and tq. $7500.00 for all parts, the case and shaft was $2k of that. The manual was a great purchase, I'm not sure what the repair would have been just dropping machine off at Cat.
I just found out the rear end on the machine I bought has some rather major issues. Are the manuals that good to where I can do many of the machines's repairs myself? As for the parts, I'm just stuck with paying. This is my first on owning a piece of equiment like this. So we'll see.
I have alot of manuals for alot of different equipment, this is one of the better ones. I don't consider myself that much of a transmission man, but the manual was great on step by step instructions.
Hello BradyA, How did you make out with your problem, are you still interested in getting a service manual like you said? Fred
Manuals are like females when you don,t need them they are plentyful ,when you want one you can,t find one.I,ve been looking for a manual for my 428B missed out a few times on e bay so far the wining bid was about 120 au.So keep looking they are their.
Repair manual Thanks for your thoughts,ELC hunter. Fredb
Some of the dealers sell the manuals from the shop.
OK, hiluxman....