Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Used dump truck advice

Welder Dave ยท 2016-10-07 01:25

I figure there's more people on this forum that could offer some insight. I'm looking for an older dump truck to use off road at my MX track. I just missed out on a good truck by about an hour last Saturday. I saw it Friday night and didn't want to call too early on Sat. When I called, there was someone about 5 minutes away coming to look at it. It was a 79 Ford L9000 that was in the same family for 30 years or so and another family member was a HD mechanic who worked on it. It had a 6-71, 13 speed, good brakes, clutch and rubber as well as a new hoist and saddle. He was asking $6900. Anyway I started looking for another truck. Deals like that don't come very often so I'd like some opinions. Is it better to try to find something under 10K or spend a little more on something better. I don't need it to be certified as I'll just use it my land but I want something in decent shape. I responded to a few adds but it seems like no one ever checks their e-mail. How do they expect to sell anything? A couple I looked at are an 85 Ford with a 400 Cummins, no price listed but it says for quick sale so I'm guessing under 10K. 1990 Freightliner with a 400+ HP Detroit (I'm assuming series 60) 18 speed, new hoist, needs a little TLC, 5200 hours, 620,000kms. $9000 cash. 1987 Western Star, 60 series Detroit, 18K front, 44K rears, 438,000kms, last inspected Oct. 2015 and not driven since, $12,500 and a 1989 Mack RD688S with an E7-300, 15 sp., 75% rubber, 1,002,0000kms., 12200 hours, $14,900 (looks very clean from a used equipment dealer closing up shop. I know this truck has been for sale for a while so might get a good price because the economy sucks). I got a response about an S series International with an L10 Cummins, $9000 but the guy said the cab was rusting and it needed new hood hinges. I've read these were bad for cabs rusting out so think I should pass on it? I don't need big power but would like to know what to look for and what to avoid. I like the Mack if the price came down as I've heard the older Mack's were pretty tough and bullet proof. I know to stay away from 92 series Detroits and need a trans. with low gearing for off road but beyond that I'm not sure. Are automatics OK off road? Sorry for the long post.

Replies5
  1. #1Steve Frazier2016-10-07 01:29

    If you don't have plans to license the truck why not consider an off road dump? You could probably find a decent well used machine for just a little more than you've listed and it would be more durable.

  2. #2Welder Dave2016-10-07 10:24

    I'm not sure what you mean by off road dump?

  3. #3Delmer2016-10-07 11:08

    An off road dump would be a Cat, Volvo, JD etc. articulated dump truck. What are you planning to do with the dump truck? I was thinking you'd be looking for a thousand dollar single axle for a race track?

  4. #4Former Wrench2016-10-07 14:11

    It seems that there are quite a few options for you from a 5 yd single axle to a 35 ton rock buggy. I would consider some "hows". How wide is the work area? How far would you be hauling what? How often? In what types of weather? How much to spend for what? How experienced is the driver (get an Allison for a rookie)? How about a plow for the front (state rig then)? How much power do you need?

  5. #5Welder Dave2016-10-07 19:37

    I have a single axle Topkick (30,000 GVW) with a grain box I cut down but I want something with a faster hoist/stronger box and more capacity. I use the Topkick as a water truck with a 2000 gallon poly tank. I mostly do work on weekends so want to speed things up. I can haul sand from neighbors and it's about a 1/2 mile trip. I'm going to look at the 1990 Freightliner tomorrow. Apparently it's a former highway dept. plow truck ( no plow but extra hyd's) and mechanically is really good. Asking 9K but open to offers. The guy that has it doesn't know too much about the specs. but it has 450 HP Detroit and heavy suspension. It has a swept back axle. He said the things it needs fixing are minor like the tarp and a couple marker lights, etc. He paid $16K for it 4 years ago and used it to build a road around his acreage. He was going to get into trucking but decided it wasn't for him. If I can get it for $8500or less would be a deal I think. The hoist was new just before he bought and the truck isn't rusted.