Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Used mini excavator purchase

chuey ยท 2012-12-03 18:16

I have been debating for awhile now on gettin a mini. I am looking into some used ones and wanted a couple questions answered. I am looking for either a cat 305 or deere 50d. How many hours is too many on a used machine? Above 2k? Long stick or short? These are the 2 basic questions I have any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Lee-online2012-12-03 18:33

    Low hours does not mean it is in good condition and high hours are bad. If it is all beat up, scratched and a messy cab then that implies it was not taken care of. If the boom, stick and bucked pins and bushing are tight then I would assume it was greased regularly and therefore also probably serviced. I am not an operator so can't comment on what stick is best.

  2. #2chuey2012-12-03 19:21

    That's very true. Depends on what it's been used for too I suppose. Here is a cat serial number:HWJ00310 Deere 244964

  3. #3KSSS2012-12-03 19:48

    I like the long stick versions. The short sticks are easier to load trucks with and they have more powerful arm forces, however if you use the bucket to breakout the material that is not as important. I would look for a long stick with counter weight.

  4. #4Go2ndAmend2012-12-05 21:34

    I think there is a correlation between the number of hours on the machine and it's condition, but more important is the overall condition of the machine regardless of hours. Anything over 2000 hours has most likely had at least one new set of tracks on it. If it has been serviced regularly, not abused and the pins and bushings are still tight I wouldn't disregard a machine with more than 2000 hours on it. Of course, your best chance at a reliable used machine is low hour machine in good shape. Both of the machines you are considering are great machines. I spent several months earlier this year trying to decide between the same two as well as the short vs. long arm. I ended up with the Cat with the long arm and am very happy with it.

  5. #5Canuck Digger2012-12-24 01:13

    If I'm buying used, which I do for the most part I prefer to buy private. Meeting the owner/operator or the rental yard boss gives you a pretty good idea whether the machine has been looked after or not. Buying USED from a dealer, you just don't know. A few hours in the shop, and one can make any piece of crap look decent. As a general rule, stay away from equipment that says "new paint" and is only 5 yrs. old.......... Good luck Also, where has it dug, what has it dug, how many operators has it seen, etc...... I'd much rather buy a middle of the pack machine that's been looked after than one of the "top dawgs" that's been beat up......

  6. #6melli2012-12-30 22:26

    I agree with most of the comments posted about what to look for in a mini... How old of machine were looking at? The hour meter threshhold is tough to nail down, I think. Fresh paint is always a red flag for me. A guy with tons of records/receipts showing that the machine is getting fixed is a green flag for me. A machine with 1500hrs can be worse than a 3000hrs machine...sometimes, a low hour machine is flogged (sold) just as things start going (pumps,motors,valves). I'd personally be concerned with the big ticket items - engine, main hyd pump, swivel joint not leaking, swing circle motor and bearings (no slop), 2 drive motors. I'd figure out what needs work (or looks close to end of life) on both machines and price it out. Are the tracks, idlers, rollers, sprocket due for new? Bushings/pins for front end? Hoses? Not much difference in arm capability (lbs) between long and short stick imho.