I have a Multiquip MR800G roller and a small reversible Multiquip plate compactor. Both have compaction force of about 5000- 6000 LB. I use them mostly for residential use compacting gravel base or gravel parking areas often right next to the house. I try not to ever compact over a gas line or waterline etc. Can anyone give me the correct contractor rule to follow? I'm in Washington State. While a gas line here should be buried 18-24" deep, they are often as little as 6". Call before you dig markings are far from always being accurate. I would like to be able to compact the gravel over the gas line. I currently just hand tamper or roll over it with the roller, but with vibration off. Also, what is the biggest compaction force machine you can use next to a house, without causing homeowner damage or complaint?
With small equipment like that, I've never experienced a problem nor have I hesitated to compact over other utilities. That's just my two cents. I've got a pretty big hoe pack on the 120 and I've never damaged any piping with that either. I'm only tender with it when I know I'm over shallow piping that I just put in.
The older gas lines and water lines here are pipe, while the newer ones are a more flexible hose line. At what compaction force, does the compaction pounding get too crazy for 4-6" lift of 5/8 minus gravel. Could I use the largest diesel plate compactor or go with a front wheel roller compactor about 5-6' wide? For parking areas next to a house, I would like the gravel to not kick up much when you turn the wheels of a vehicle.