Machine has been discussed here before, but it's a 977H, lever steer, dry steering clutch machine that runs well, moves, operates, and has ROPS. However, the undercarriage is worn and it needs rebuilt final on the right side. Also, someone welded the front crossmember to the right roller frame, so you'll need to do some work to swap out the final. Final drives are available used or rebuilt for under $5k, but it's more of a project than I want to take on at this point. I have three videos up on my YouTube channel (link in my signature) of me working on this machine if you want all the details. Machine is located in my shop in San Antonio, Texas. I'm just trying to get a guesstimate on value. FYI - not going to part it out, but I could sell the ROPS separately, I guess. Thanks in advance for any input. Scott
scrap price would be to much 2-3 thousand is about all it is worth
Agreed. Scrap price minus whatever it costs to cut it up into bitesize pieces that the scrap man will accept.
Exactly right a friend used to deal in old iron and his thoughts on machines like that were the same . He would only offer something around half of the current scrap price minus is trucking etc. Did quite well at it.
Interesting ROPS, 977H never had a one. I wonder what it machine is was made for. I'm surprised anyone would do all that fabricating & welding for such a machine. Nick
There was a tag on the ROPS that listed the manufacturer and the date of manufacture. If I recall, it was in the 1970's. I think that was in the first video. Will see if I can find a pic of it.
Can you make out what machine it was intended for? Nick
Not sure
I'd guess the ROPS was made for that machine or a similar sized dozer and adapted. Machine could have been in mint condition in 1973. Can't see there being much market for a 977H ROPS. It's a 60 year old machine. I think your best bet is getting a scrapper to give a price and they haul it away. Certain parts might sell like the bucket teeth and adaptors and the hyd. cylinders, maybe the bucket but other than that it's pretty much scrap price. How much are you into for in addition to having it hauled to your place?
ROPS appears to me to have been made for the 977. It's gone. Sold it for $2k. Guy said he is going to try and fix it, but who knows. I have around $3,000 or so invested - had it moved 2x, bought manuals. Lots of lessons learned, but that's typically how I learn - the hard way.
It didn't have to be that way. If these old Cat's were worth fixing the experienced mechanics would be snapping them up to make a decent profit. Unfortunately you weren't listening close enough to the people more knowledgeable telling you they aren't worth fixing. If the undercarriage is shot you're dead in the water without needing to go any further.
You're assuming that I regret getting it, but I don't. I didn't need it for a job, didn't need it to make money, and I'm ok with spending some time on it and then sending it on down the road. If you knew me, you'd understand, but I just retired after 26 years in the Army. Served on six of the seven continents, several combat zones, and jumped out of several dozen perfectly good airplanes. Now that I'm retired, I work from home, sitting at a desk. Anything that can get me out of the house, meeting new folks, turning some wrenches, and learning something new really helps me recharge my batteries. Picking this machine up might not make sense for most folks, but it sure did make sense to me, even in hindsight.
Why did you say you learned the hard way then?
Lots of sweat and a few busted knuckles.