I'm just curious of peoples opinions on this older front engine machine. They are not as easy to use as the new rear engine hydrostatic machines. The visibility is not as good, the balance is not as good, The breakout force is less than the 963 that has 40 less hp and 5 ton less weight . But to me they look better. The sheet metal and parts are heavier(the newer ones seem to rust though much quicker). I want a useable machine for the small amount of work I do to look classic. Be possibly collectable, something that will hang in there for the next 20 years and still look good, but also be a usable/valuable machine. I'm looking for a perspective on should I use it and sell it, or will it keep its value. I paid $8500. Shawn
$8500 seems like a steal for a functioning machine that size.
You make me cry, in the U.K. that would have people begging to buy it for double your steal of a price, stick with it and keep it in top condition then your money will always be in a safe place, they are the best of the best I love them, once the U.K. had lots of them but sadly Europe sucked them all up for buttons. tctractors
I was looking at a used USN surplus unit just as depicted, open station 977L with 4/1 and low hours while the rails looked like new, seller was going for $18500, sold quick as I was too slow I missed it. Know of two still in service that are 35 years old and going strong, LOVE the old 977's.
Thanks guys I do really like this machine. It must of been stored inside for much of its life. I am also going to keep it inside if its not out on a project. Any negative comments would be good also. I've heard the newer machines are easier to work on especially the ones with a tilt cabs. Shawn
If you can keep a 977 on good ground, they can load trucks like nobody's business. They are also good for grading and a staple in the house demo business.
That's what I want to hear, what are they good for, and what to watch out for. Mine is a 1973 with a K serial number, and that boxy open rops. Would the "good for grading" be because of the 4 in 1? Shawn