I'm having a issue with the main hydraulic pump on my Hough 65C loader. The boom and bucket have been moving slower for the passed year so I thought the pump may need rebuilding. After replacing both pump cartridges, it moves the same or slower. Do the cartridges come new set for right hand rotation? It is supposed to be left hand rotation. Thanks for any help
Wouldn't work at all if it was wrong rotation I don't think. Is it growling? Check your suction lines, make sure the suction in the tank isn't blocked and it's not sucking air somewhere. If it is sucking air it will be growling or howling depending on how much air it's getting. Then check pressure on the loader valve.
All the Vickers cartridges I worked on had arrows on the cam ring pointing in the direction of rotation. They also had the GPM rating next to the arrows. If you have the old cartridges you should be able to look at the center ring and see this easy, either stamped or etched in on a flat spot next to one of the holes in the ring. Never had to luck to try running one the wrong way so can't say how they would react but don't think it would be very good! Suppose if one was running the right way and the other one was running the wrong way it might work a little. As you say there are two cartridges in the pump are the two outlets from the pump Teed together?
Should be steering and loader separate functions yeah?
At least that is how the larger ones were designed. Most of them, as I recall, had two two section pumps. One pump both sections went to the hydraulics and the other pump had a demand valve that at lower flow/RPMs' sent both sections to the steering and at higher flow/RPMs shifted one section to the hydraulics. MIght be some also had a single section pump for hydraulics with the two section pump with the one section connected through the flow control valve. It's been probably 15 years or more since worked on one of the old 90/100/120/560/400 Houghs. Often said we should have kept one at the quarry so when some operator did something stupid or complained about the 980 G Cats we could let them run on of those for a couple days!
Ok, I removed the pump and pulled both cartridges. The smaller rear one was turning the correct direction but the front one was set to a right hand rotation. I flipped the ring over so the arrow was pointing to the left and put it all back together. All working correctly now. Thanks to everyone.
:drinkup
You did not say but I'm guessing you flipped the rotor with the vanes at the same time? Now that that Hough is back working how about some pictures?
That is what was confusing. The rotor was turning the correct direction but the ring had to be flipped over so the arrow pointed to the left.