I have a weird deal on a vin number. I am looking at a truck to buy. It has an Iowa reasigned vin number tag. I cannot find an original vin number in any of the normal spots. The pic shows the iowa vin number on the door frame and the area where a vin number would normally appear on the frame. Not sure why the numbers present do not look like a normal vin number. Have any of you guys ever seen anything like this?
I've seen it on totaled and rebuilt vehicles.
Woo Hoo problem solved! First thing I had to do was call a Frieghtliner dealer in a bigger city like Kansas city and not a po dunk market like Springfield MO and get a real parts guy that actually wants to do his job and not be a lazy pos and check this vin number! When he put in the last 6 of the iowa vin number It comes up as an 88 frtliner and he can see the whole vin which matches my vin on the Iowa tag! So it is in the frtliner system on the Iowa vin number! The records show it was sold as a glider! Amazing the local lazy doofus here couldnt tell me that! I don't think he was even looking it up or he just didnt know what he was doing!!! So damn frustrating!
That makes sense. A number of years ago we bought a truck from a local trucking company that was a glider and IIRC it had a tag like the one pictured on the door post. FWIW I don't recall having any problems with licensing it or ordering any parts for it.