Hello, Currently having issues with my 2005 Volvo 290blc. Was running fine one day then the engine abruptly turned off...restarted and I can get it to idle but as soon as I try to bring the rpms up it stalls. No codes.. When it is idling its very smooth. D7D engine 9500 hrs This is what I have done. belt Fed Fuel Pump - replaced with a new pump. took old pump apart appeared to look clean Swapped relays in a methodical manner the ones by the fuel tank...swapping 3 & 4 ect.. Replaced the alternator about 2 months ago ( started making sounds) ,and recently noticed that the new alternator housing is getting very hot, the backside is ok. All the wires appear cool and have a good connection. As of today it seems like it's charging a little over 25v where it's usually 27. Grounds that I know of appear clean. Is it possible I bought a bad alternator?? it was from volvo.. Replaced both fuel filters. Checked for leaks in fuel lines, hand primer appears to be in good condition, holds pressure. All fluids are topped off.. Im at a loss..... I operate a scrap yard in Upstate NY. My piles are getting huge and this is my machine with a shear. Thank you for your time... MB
Good day Have you checked the fuel feed pressure from the pump, at the filter head ? Kind regards Uffex
Have u drained any from the bottom of the tank? Make sure it not restricted getting to the primer filter? Idk. Almost sounds electrical with it abruptly shutting off. We have the same machine and I know ours is a biatch to bleed the air out if it runs out of fuel
Good day Check that the output side of the filter has about 5 bars (70 p.s.i) pressure, often the pump valves get clogged. See illustration. Kind regards Uffex
Have you got any gauges to monitor oil pressure? Does it sound as though the engine is loading up before shutting down? Do you have any error codes on the display?
Ok, kinda figured it out… I disconnected my the wire to the pre heater, I believe it was stuck on robbing tons of voltage giving me erratic problems. Now, my engine temp is way high. Any relation ? The excavator has been excellent for many years now I’m just getting hammered with little downtime problems.
Is the gauge believed to be accurate? In other words, does it start off cold? You're going to want to check your radiator, is it full? Is it clean? Will light pass through? How about the charged air cooler, the hydraulic cooler and the A/C condenser, same questions. Any blankets of fluff in between. How about the fan shroud and the foam between the coolers. No damage, nothing missing? Fan belt in good condition? Beyond that, you'll want to get a cheap IR temp gun. Shoot the temps at upper and lower hose, see if the thermostat is operating properly.
Good catch.
Thanks for the help this far… yes, the Gauge starts off cold then progressively get warmer to about the red line.. if I let it idle down it will also begin to cool. When I replaced the fuel pump I replaced all belts. Fan is clear, my hat stuck to the radiator so I’m getting flow. Seems like a bad thermostat but struggling to understand how the recent fuel & electrical issue turned into a overheating problem. Chances of another random failure seems odd. Thanks for all the help
You need a cheap ir gun to shoot the temps as suggested above. This will help narrow down your problem area. You could have something simple like a bad temp sender or a wiring issue.