Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo BL 70 wont charge and now not starting

Wcctech1915 ยท 2019-12-15 07:21

At first we had issue with the battery not charging so we ended up replacing the alternator at the recommendation of the shop we took it to have work on it. That did not solve the charging issue. We replaced the battery. I started better but still didn't charge. Any ideas where to start on getting it to charge? Does the alternator need to be "excited"? Now, some months later the battery was taken out and fully charged. It is a little low on cranking amps but still good. But we cannot get it to crank at all. Is it possible that it's just lost prime? Also does anyone have wiring diagrams available for this machine?

Replies5
  1. #1thepumpguysc2019-12-15 07:39

    Losing prime has nothing to do w/ "CRANKING".. it has to do w/ "STARTING".. are u saying the engine wont turn over.??{cranking} or are u saying it turns over{cranking} but doesnt start..??

  2. #2Wcctech19152019-12-15 08:06

    It will turn over but won't start.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2019-12-15 08:32

    Can u hear the shut off solenoid "click" when u turn the key on & off.?? Have u tried bleeding the air out.?? U prob. need 2 people for this job.. 1 cranking the engine & 1 turning wrenches.. Does this engine have the single cyl. pumps & the injectors UNDER the valve cover.??

  4. #4funwithfuel2019-12-15 09:36

    Hey pump guy, I don't think they stuffed the deutz engine in until the B series, I think the straight BL70 still used that little perkins copy with pump line and nozzle. And I think they use some of the supply fuel in a flame start , iirc. Always a head scratcher. I don't have service info with me, but I believe that is how I remember it.

  5. #5Wcctech19152019-12-15 10:32

    The pumps are single cylinder I believe. Also you can hear the solenoid click. Trying to bleed air out now. But seems to have prime.