Howdy, I've got a '12 Volvo BL70 that I use around the farm. Has been great for several years now. The hydraulic cylinder that locks the boom leaks. I bought a seal kit on Ebay but cannot figure out how to disassemble the thing. If I grab the body and spin the head nothing backs out. There does not appear to be any other sort of threading or locking mechanism on it so Im a bit stuck. Huh!
That doesn't make any sense. If you are turning the gland and the barrel is in the vise like in your picture it has to unscrew. If it doesn't then there has to be a lock wire holding the gland in. Have you tried pushing the gland into the barrel. If it goes in, the lock wire will be exposed.
Can you show pics. of each end of the cylinder? Looks like a bunch of dirt on the end you can see and don't know what the other end looks like. I'd think a lock wire or snap ring if it turns but doesn't come apart.
Are you turning the body or the shaft?
Yes, there must be some sort of snap ring that slides into a groove that is on the outer body. The problem is that I cannot see it, much less get to it because there is no space to slide anything down there to prevent the ring from sliding into the groove as the inner sleeve returns out. Very fun design! But the fact that an O ring kit exists makes me think that there must be a way of repairing this thing without cutting it open.
Here are two pics that will hopefully shed some light on things.
It definitely has or had a retaining wire in it. It may take some serious force to get the gland and rod out. Don't reconnect the hose to the barrel and use hydraulic pressure to force it out. People have been killed doing that. Even if you tried using a puller of some kind on the rod it can still be a bad situation. I would suggest that you take it to a shop that specializes in hydraulic cylinder repairs and let them do it.
I agree with Tinkerer. A good cyl. shop could safely pull it apart. You can see a groove in the 1st pic. A parts diagram would be very beneficial.
I have the parts book and the cylinder is evidently not repairable if any of the components are damaged. As a result there is not an exploded view of it. This is all it shows.
Interesting. Wow, thanks for sharing. It is actually that seal (2? 3?) that leaks. I have the spare seal I wonder if I can pop it in from the shaft end.
I was able to pop out the end seal and reinsert the new one. Hopefully it will do the trick. Will see!
That is a wiper seal. It keeps dirt and water from getting past the rod and going in the cylinder. If oil is coming of it, it most likely is the seals in the gland that are leaking.