Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo cab roof/sun shield adhesive or sealer?

Kevin Cohrs ยท 2020-12-08 11:39

I need to replace the lexan/poly sun shield that goes on the cab roof of a Volvo EC460B. Anybody know what I should use to "glue" in the new one? It looks to be some sort of black adhesive from the factory. Any ideas appreciated!

Replies10
  1. #1sfrs42020-12-08 11:54

    The genuine sun sheilds are bolted on? So there isn't a genuine glue/tape or whatever. If it needs " Glue " in the UK we have a product called Tiger seal they use it to fit/seal car body panels together and it's amazing.

  2. #2Kevin Cohrs2020-12-08 12:21

    This piece definitely glues into the cab roof itself. Its not a debris protector or anything like that. I took a look at a similar machine at the dealership and its the same way. Some sort of black adhesive. Almost like whats used to glue in a cars windshield....

  3. #3funwithfuel2020-12-08 16:46

    I'm with sfrs4. Should be 4 screws with rubber grommets, that's it. There was an update to glue the screws retaining the cover. That was just to prevent water intrusion.

  4. #4Kevin Cohrs2020-12-08 17:31

    I think we must be talking about two different things. Ill have to take some pics of what Im working with...

  5. #5heymccall2020-12-08 22:20

    "Sikaflex" is the product needed to bond a polycarbonate window to a steel cab. Peruse this thread HeavyEquipmentForums

  6. #6sfrs42020-12-09 03:53

    These are the prosis parts drawings of both sun visor options for the EC460B, as you can see both are bolt on options, whats the serial number of the machine? I have no doubt your visor is stuck on, but i very much doubt it's factory spec. Maybe a dealer sold option? As mentioned by heymccall Sikaflex is another really good product for the application you require.

  7. #7volvoeire2021-01-28 17:11

    I think this man is talking about the curved perspex roof window , not the sun visor in front of cab. I'm just in the process of replacing mine also and it is glued in with a very VERY strong glue/sealant. Kevin Cohrs did you find out the answer to your question in the end???? I do a lot of tree work and could do with clear visibility.. anyone replaced with flat clear safety glass???

  8. #8Bls repair2021-01-28 17:32

    I always use clear silicone . The window guy we used had window adhesive that would come off in about 6 months . We cleaned it up, used silicone no more problems.

  9. #9heymccall2021-01-28 17:57

    Sikaflex... in this link HeavyEquipmentForums

  10. #10sfrs42021-01-29 06:55

    there was something about the top window leaking, it's listed as "glass" on the parts system hence i missed the relevence of it. anyway Volvo recommend the following. 1. SikaCleaner-205, 2. SikaPrimer-206G, 3. Sikaflex-295UV,