Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo ec140blc Slew ring/motor play

eddie1986 · 2015-01-14 05:39

Hi, I am looking at Volvo ec14blc with 8000 hrs, the machine is in good condition and wasn't abused. My issue is that there is a small amount of play in the slew of the machine, is this common on this machine, is it likely to be the slew ring or the slew motor causing the play? I've heard it could be either and a recon slew ring would be in the region of €2200. it is probably not necessary at the moment though. I am just wondering if it is usual to have the play at 8000Hrs? Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1uffex2015-01-14 14:48

    Good day eddie1986 Our experience of slew ring play in this machine is not bad unless the ring has been swimming in salt water or caught some electric shocks (Arc welding of removing line electric cables) 8000 hours is not so much when you say the play how much? if you need the details for the measurement go excatech.com happy to help. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2John C.2015-01-14 20:09

    Are you asking about up and down play in the bearing or gear backlash between the pinion and ring gear. Backlash doesn't hurt a thing. Up and down play is measured with a dial indicator. New bearings have between .030 and .040 up and down play. If you have more than that the bearing is in failure mode. It will still run a long time but will start loading up the pinion shaft. Eventually the seal goes out in the swing reducer and the oil drains into the tub. By that time you pretty much have to replace it. Does this machine have a thumb?

  3. #3tctractors2015-01-15 16:06

    eddie, I have fitted a new swing bearing in a Doosan 220 at 1'500 hrs, there is grease points on them for grease guns to lube them, this does seem like to much trouble to some people, just recently I have been doing 1 bearing swap a month. tctractors

  4. #4eddie19862015-01-19 05:01

    Thanks Uffex, I will check it out. I am probably being too particular here.

  5. #5eddie19862015-01-19 05:03

    Thanks John C. it is backlash i am talking about, I don't think it is that bad but i am probably being critical as the machine is in very good order everywhere else. NO it doesn't have a thumb.

  6. #6eddie19862015-01-19 05:08

    hi tctractors, yes i see that alot around here too, there was a sarcastic saying I heard before about guys who weren't fond of using the grease gun "a good machine doesn't need grease and a bad one isn't worth greasing". The machine in question has been well looked after though.