Excavator needed new batteries so installed 2 new ones this afternoon. Tightened everything good, then turned on master disconnect switch and heard a small pop behind battery compartment somewhere. No power to ignition, radio, cab except the cab dome lights work. Exterior lights work also. Both batteries new and have at least 12.5v. Any suggestions on what to try? I didn’t try jumping it off until I see what problem is. Thanks
Verify batteries are hooked up correctly. Follow ground to battery then confirm pos of batt 1 goes to neg of batt 2. From there, there is a tin cover just above and behind the batteries. Remove that. It covers fuses and relays. There are some square fuses back there 80 and 120 Amps iirc. Using a test light, probe each pole from the bottom, there are some little blue plugs, the size of your pinky finger tip, those are diodes. If you reversed the polarity, they're probably smoked.
Ok. I believe I know what happened. The old batteries were covered in dirt and I didn’t check the posts to confirm which was + and -. I bought 4D LT batteries, and one to find out the old ones were 4D A batteries. The posts are opposite on them so even though the wires were hooked up the same, they are backwards. Crap! So knowing this, do you k ow which of the diodes / fuses I’ll likely need to replace? Do auto parts houses sell these typically?
The diode is volvo proprietary. I would imagine it would be the one adjacent to the start relay. Check fuses, then check diodes. Don't just replace parts.
Good afternoon, Volvo didn’t have any fuse or diodes in stock, so I went ahead and changed out my batteries to the 4Da’s. Cranked right up. But, it is giving me a couple of codes and blew the 20a yellow fuse (one in cab) for the hyd thumb/breaker. I replaced it a couple of times and every time I switch to the grapple side of the rocker switch it blows the fuse(this must also be linked to the high speed travel since it doesn’t work either when fuse blows). Any idea why that fuse keeps blowing? Everything else is working.
Good afternoon, Volvo didn’t have any fuse or diodes in stock, so I went ahead and changed out my batteries to the 4Da’s. Cranked right up. But, it is giving me a couple of codes and blew the 20a yellow fuse (one in cab) for the hyd thumb/breaker. I replaced it a couple of times and every time I switch to the grapple side of the rocker switch itblows the fuse(this must also be linked to the high speed travel since it doesn’t work either when fuse blows). Any idea why that fuse keeps blowing?Everything else is working.