Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EW180C boom arm camera replacement

pados1002 · 2025-02-21 20:34

Hey guys, my Volvo arrived with a factory camera attached to the bottom side of the boom arm. It's really nice to use when you dig deep but close to you. However the sensor was dead. I disassembled the unit and it was filled with dirt. I ordered a few 12v camera sensors from AliExpress. Not arrived yet. However I measured the voltage output on the harness while activated the camera and the voltage is about 7.9v. So I guess a universal sensor won't power on? Any recommendations of how to make a cheap common Chinese sensor work? Local dealer said that it could cost around 500€ and of course It's not an option. It 's a 4 wire sensor.

Replies5
  1. #1reganj2025-02-22 21:12

    I have zero experience with what you are asking but is it a possibility to get a wired camera that will duplicate the same function??

  2. #2mekanik2025-02-22 21:24

    I have installed a few backup camera systems on vehicles. They are a camera and a display panel. Something like that might be an option.

  3. #3pados10022025-02-23 15:18

    For sure I have an option to use an aftermarket system with display and as many cameras as I want... However I want to try and make use of the OEM display before I move on something else! @reganj by the wired camera I guess you mean hardwiring the camera on a 12v line? Then it will be always on but I d like to have the control from the cabin!

  4. #4reganj2025-02-23 20:35

    I was referring to a camera and monitor that are wired to each other like what mekanik posted, fairly cheap and if you destroy one, replace it inexpensively. Or buy more than one system for when you destroy one, you have another to replace it quickly. Hope this is helpful.

  5. #5pados10022025-02-23 20:59

    If my attempt to get the OEM system to work, aftermarket display/camera system will be the way!