I'm not familiar with Volvo's intake preheater. When I try to activate it, I'm not sure I'm getting it to activate. (can't get any indicator lights to light up) I turn the key to the run position, and press the button, but no lights. Am I doing something wrong. THose that are familiar with their system, can you tell me the process. Thanks.
I just purchased an l180 volvo, and the pre heater doesnt work. On the left side of the engine there looks to be a starting solenoid, above that there is a metal bar with red plastic on it. This is the fusible link for the pre heater. Ive been told by mechanics that this will blow if its used when not needed, or used too much etc.
The fusible link is good. The element and fuse check out with a resistance test. Does the heater not activate unless it is cold enough, or is that just on the newer machines?
hmm, what year and model machine is it? i have an owners manual for my l180, i can look up some more info on how its supposed to work. did you try to see if your switch is good?
heater the intake heater works like this according to my manual: turn the ignition switch to the 4th position which is "pre heat". Then push the pre heater switch down. Once the pre heater switch is pusher, the indicator light in front of the steering wheel will light up and will stay on as long as the cpu in the machine deems necessary. once the light goes out, turn the key to position 5 until the machine starts then release... hope this helps.
Volvo electric pre-heat. My 1994 Volvo F12 truck with TD122FR (no computer) engine has a specific ignition key position to initiate the heater as you have described for your machines. I don't care about it because I don't need it to start in my warm climate. (sometimes it comes on after start and sometimes it doesn't) In your case (and mine) I suspect the big solenoid that powers the intake heater, or the temp. sensor that says "I want some warm air so I can get going" Hope this helps.