Hi, I have a Volvo L50B and unsure about the transmission oil change. I dont have any manuals for it. Drop box is simple, but there is a separate transmission filter and oil companies list a Qty for trans oil. if anyone id familiar with the trans oil change procedure help would be much appreciated. Cheers.
Your dropbox portion is regular 15w40 , the power side is simple hydrostatic. So your oil will be hydraulic, just re-establish your oil level in the sight glass. When you service , check the suction line from the gear case to the small pump closest to the front of the machine. It has a tendency to crack allowing pump to suck air. This is lube oil which also controls your high low range. Good luck
Thanks for the reply, No sight glass on this one but I have found what I believe is an oil filler and level check. Above the oil filter. I cant find a drain plug. The suction hose you speak of comes from the very bottom of the box and looks like it could be used as a drain, although it looks like it would simply drain the drop box it may not. Cheers
Your hydraulic tank has the sight glass. That's where your tractive effort comes from. You have simple hydrostatic travel. Your dropbox has the engine oil. And yes that line leads from sump to pump to lube distribution valve. There's a drain on the back of the case. Fill it up with fresh 15w40. Adjust levels with dipstick. The dropbox is separate from the hydrostatic side. There is the filter along side the trans and in front. Dont miss that one on the side.
Some of what you are saying it not making sense for this machine, I have taken some photos to clarify a few things but have no easy way to edit them and load them at work. I will tidy them up tonight at home and post them up, I think it will help clarify some things easily. thanks again.
I may well have confused myself, I thought I read on the oil selector charts that there was a separate Trans oil from the drop box, but that does not appear to be the case. So the top pic of the drop box is straight forward. Is there a separate oil for the transmission and its filter? or is it all just the hydraulic tank oil? In the bottom pic is what may or may not be a fill and level plug?? Or is it just a case of replace the trans filter and top up the hydraulic oil?? I need to buy a manual for this, it is on the farm I work at and it, and has not been well cared for. Cheers
Yep, first pic, on the money. Second pic, don't worry about. Those are block plugs for test ports. That diagonal filter, that's for the gear box lube oil. The vertical filter on the side , that's for the hydraulic side. It's like you stated, swap filter and top off hydraulic tank. Simple
Great, thanks so much for your help. Cheers