Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo L60F

curbside ยท 2009-02-08 20:56

Just wondering if anyone else out their has bought one. I bought mine exactly a year ago. The paint on the machine is brutal and the machine with 1 year on it is starting to show an awful lot of rust. The machine is shedded all year and is washed regular. The machine works in the snow and that's about it. The paint on the main frame is flaking off and rust is bubbling through the paint. The boom is also flaking and rusting and the bolt ons like the tool box and battery boxes are all rusted around the edges. The other complaint I have is greasing the machine. I'll use nearly 3 tubes of grease and I'll be covered in grease from head to foot. Grease zirks just do not want to take grease. They just blow back the grease. Using a electric greaser or a air greaser is totally impossible as the grease just bubbles back on you. A lever greaser does work if you go painfully slow. Still bubbles grease all over but does take but takes nearly 45 minutes to grease who has that kind of time. Its been back to the dealer several times but still no fix. It now has over 500 hours and still the same problem. Anyone else out their with that machine.

Replies10
  1. #1komatsukid2009-02-08 23:37

    thats strange, volvo uses high quality paint. in the winter i found it helps if you heat the grease before you use it. all i do is let it set on the heater vent for a few minutes.

  2. #2curbside2009-02-09 02:46

    The machine sits in a heated shop so the grease is pretty warm already. Does the same thing in the summer. Yes I heard they used pretty good quality paint as well. Wondering if maybe on the new F series they tried saving money by using a different paint or maybe skipping prep on the metal. I sold a 99 Hyundai 740 that was looking better. Hate to see what my machine will look like in 3-5 years. The dealer is supposed to be down to take pictures. Their mechanics agree with me that it's not very pretty. Just checking out their if anyone else is having problems with theirs.

  3. #3RonG2009-02-09 04:05

    I have found in the past with an Ackerman in particular that if you do not use the Ackerman grease gun with the correct head on it that you will have problems mating up to the zerk fittings that Ackerman uses. What I have also found in the past is that the Ackerman supplied grease gun is not always the one that arrives with your new Ackerman as it seems that they get swapped out for a less expensive one by the dealer or their staff before delivery to the customer. My workaround was to try different heads on my grease gun until I found one that worked properly.Unfortunately the gun that works good on the Ackerman was not good on the domestic equipment but I did find that NAPA had one that worked satisfactorily on both. I cannot vouch for whether this applies to Volvo or not but they share the same crib more or less,they are miserable to work on in my estimation and very counterintuitive to operate as well. Any machine that requires three different size wrenches to change an air filter element is already a loser in my book,what were the engineers thinking or were they thinking?Ron G

  4. #4redline2009-02-09 07:43

    very strange for a volvo to be off poor quality in the finish department, not to mention a huge shame, sure hope they find a good reason for u mate

  5. #5gggraham2009-02-13 17:37

    F series quality I work at a Volvo dealership....the quality of the F series wheel loader is terrible. The switches in them break all the time and we replace them with D series switches. Volvo ECU's are failing, the paint on some is terrible. That said we are also a dealer for IR, Case, Gomaco and the quality there is not much better.

  6. #6curbside2009-02-13 23:53

    Well that is disturbing to hear especially since you pay a premium with Volvo. You expect the best quality all around and traditionally they have been known for high quality. We'll have to see how Volvo stands behind their work.

  7. #7curbside2009-02-23 22:51

    The dealer took a pile of photos of the machine and are sending them off to Volvo. I think the manager was a little skeptical at first until he started looking at the machine. I think he was a little shocked.

  8. #8MKTEF2009-02-25 18:54

    Sounds to me like somebody in the production line forgot to degrease the machine prior to sandblast or/and before painting. Petroleum products under the paint can give u such problems. I'm suspecting that this is a US made machine....(the old Michigan factory)

  9. #9curbside2009-02-25 20:02

    Yes it was made in the US. I was told in North Carolina. Any ideas how an issue like this is solved? I sure don't want the 5 gallon special.

  10. #10MKTEF2009-02-27 13:14

    Can only be solved properly by demount, degrease, sandblast, degrease and new complete paintsystem. Rust on edges is caused by a bad painter, paint is difficult to get to add to a corner/edge, if applied with a air/pressure paint gun. The particles is not adding to the edge but blows past it. Areas like that(edges) should acording to the standard be treated specialy. Many give them an extra stroke with a brush. Easiest way is to use the standard, and redesign the product...no sharp edges, but rounded ones. Industrial painting is a science in it self... Prices has made much of that craftmansship go down the toilet. Just a hint, theres a reason some army iron has its paint on after 20-30 years. We have our own very strict paintsystems...