Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo Or Case Excavator

KMSEXC ยท 2008-01-12 21:18

Volvo OR Case 240 Excavator , which machine would you Buy

Replies29
  1. #1Dirtman20072008-01-12 21:46

    I've had good luck with our volvo Ec 210. It just likes fuel

  2. #2dayexco2008-01-12 21:49

    case

  3. #3KSSS2008-01-13 01:09

    Sumitomo is real strong excavator. The new B series seem to be a big hit with the guys who have them here.

  4. #4rino14942008-01-13 10:00

    Which dealer can provide you the best support ??

  5. #5dirthog272008-01-13 10:37

    If its not a Cat, Its a dog!

  6. #6dirthog272008-01-13 10:43

    Sorry about the smarta** remark, know a guy who's got a Case thats about equivalent to a 320, and he likes it fine. Never sat on a Volvo, although I've heard good things about them.

  7. #7bobcat ron2008-01-13 12:00

    Vovlo, quiet and excellent fuel economy and the pilots are nice and short, inlike the Case/LBX.

  8. #8JS580SL2008-01-13 12:26

    Case is the way to go over the volvo.

  9. #9skata2008-01-13 12:31

    volvo = samsung right?

  10. #10Tigerotor77W2008-01-13 12:39

    Volvo bought out Samsung's excavator line in the late 1990s, but the B-series does have Volvo changes to the machines. That being said, I think the bulk of the engineering work is still done in Korea.

  11. #11Wulf2008-01-13 14:37

    Volvo were also involved with Ackermann around that time I think. They built nice excavators so I'm not sure how much of that design influenced the current lineup.

  12. #12bobcat ron2008-01-13 14:40

    The only problem I've ever heard about Volvo's is some operators (mainly my brother) complain about the jumping the boom does when you have the stick and boom all the way stretched out and pull the bucket towards you, it jumps for about the first 3 feet, they have touchy pilots and I never had that problem.

  13. #13jperfect2008-01-13 17:13

    cat

  14. #14RamDodge2008-01-13 17:41

    I operated a brand new Volvo EW180 for a couple of weeks last fall and never liked those controls, felt like you had very little control over the valves, all or nothing. It was equiped as a material handler with a grip so it migh have helped to tweaked the pilot pressure a little. I operated a slightly older Volvo EC240 after the 180 and that had really nice and smooth controls. Volvo ARE Akerman. Volvo just built backhoes before they bought Akerman and changed logos. Then they bought Samsung and maybe joining those two will make a great excavator? Sturdiness and quality from Akerman and speed, reach and no leaks from Samsung? As I understand LB, Case and Sumitomo are just different brands for the same excavator right? I operated a JCB/Sumitomo a few years back before they split up, A JS200 I think it was called. It was nice and smooth and strong as a bear, it would keep up with a 240 sized machine all day. Had a nice and quiet Isuzu that didn't waste diesel.

  15. #15skata2008-01-13 19:10

    i had a chance to run a newer JCB JS220, it was a real nice machine. best cab i've seen. the isuzu motor is a top.

  16. #16John C.2008-01-13 19:28

    The big difference I've seen is the stuff in the cabs of the Volvos fall apart in short order. Fan switches, air conditioning and mode controls have been giving people in this neck of the woods lots if issues. The Sumitomo product does real well for the first 4,000 to 5,000 hours then seems to start the nickel and dime process all the time. Wiring issues and monitor problems is what I've seen. They also have a habit of busting something major and contaminating the hydraulic system for a really high dollar repair. As I recall in the US both machines used Cummins engines and Kawasaki pumps but I looked at a Volvo a couple of months ago that had a Volvo engine. It had a real odd sound to it but seemed to run the machine all right. The machine was quite a bit different than a Samsung. The operator's would not run it so it was being fixed up for trade.

  17. #17Hitachi350Man2008-01-14 01:50

    izusu's = :thumbsup

  18. #18Countryboy2008-01-14 01:55

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Jon! :drinkup

  19. #19Rockbreaker2008-01-14 02:32

    Volvo I would go for the volvo beacuse the cab is way better than what Case can offer you. Hydralics is maybe better on the Case but... If you work someplace many hours comfort is important to me

  20. #20KMSEXC2008-01-14 16:14

    Draw Bar Pull what s the Big deal with the draw Bar Pull , Volvo Has almost 10,000 lbs more pull and also has more break out force too , Thats What Im concerned about , case has more hp but not as much lifting compacity KMS

  21. #21385Diggin' Doug2008-01-14 19:55

    Volvo My suggestion would be the Volvo.However having compared their 330's and their 460's to equivelant Cat's I would take the Cat.Depending what your tasks are, the Volvo's are a good machine choice over Case.I like the coupler set ups on the Volvo because they are quicker than Cat and you can do it with the stick out and bucket curled.Also w/ the Volvo,you lose the advantage of turning the bucket around w/ the pin grabbers.As mentioned before,the digital readouts for the engine diagnostics and heater/ac switches do have a tendency to fade away very shortly.Good luck w/ your choice and keep us posted.

  22. #22bobcat ron2008-01-14 20:11

    The 290 Volvo I ran had very little draw bar pull, we always had to pull it up on a pile with the bucket, the 320 Cat's would just charge right up the same pile with no problems.

  23. #23bigjake05242008-01-15 00:37

    I would try and get one with an isuzu engine, very fuel efficient.

  24. #24KMSEXC2008-01-17 19:09

    Case or Volvo Getting Back too the decision on excavators , well i just got done digging a cellar with a brand new 240 case we had encountered some ledge but the case machine was able to rip out the ledge with some struggle but they were big boulders , all in all i Believe cat is the machine when it comes to production and durability , If your a large contractor and you have a lot of employees that run your Iron and you can afford it , the cat machine is the way to go but there are plenty of good machines on the market today for a lot less money and you have good responsible operators that will take care of your equipment that maybe the way to go, as far as Volvo over case i would go with the Volvo , to me it looks more durable for the tougher rock jobs , but thats my opinion Thanks fellows for your input I will post some pics soon Thanks KMSEXC

  25. #25apritchard2008-01-18 18:18

    cx160 what r your thoughts on the cx160

  26. #26KMSEXC2008-01-18 20:10

    cx 160 is that case machine your asking about

  27. #27dayexco2008-01-18 20:14

    haven't been on volvo in 3 yrs, was in a new cx210 b 2 days ago, visibility was AWESOME! right side window is floor to ceiling, they've tucked the floor of the cab very close to ends of foot pedals so you can see down into bottom of deep hole right next to machine without craning your neck. we've got a 210, not the b...we rented the volvo...again, 3 yrs ago...but the case imo has the battle won hands down

  28. #28apritchard2008-01-19 10:13

    thanks for th reply ya its a case cx160:drinkup

  29. #29Countryboy2008-01-20 20:22

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums apritchard! :drinkup