Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo shifter malfunction

Diagonal Brace · 2014-01-23 08:42

Received a call from an operator saying warning light flashing and machine will not move forward or reverse. Also displaying fault code SE 4201 11J gear shifter malfunction. After a quick call to the dealer and the resulting shockwave " None in stock $2200 available overnight" My reply was are any parts available? "Yes a control unit for $500 and we have stock" Thankfully we have a second unit and after a few minutes swapping shifters we were able to get machine back to our shop. My first action was to swap out the control unit to try and determine if it was faulty. No not the case. After some inspection it was determined that a broken wire had occurred inside the housing were the harness makes a ridiculously tight 180 direction change. A little solder and viola we were back in business. It occurred on a sensor identical to this located inside the metal shifter body I thought I would post this in hopes it may help someone else.

Replies5
  1. #1Mike L2014-01-28 13:04

    Just went through the same thing a few weeks ago, but ours got a new shifter Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2Dead On2015-02-24 11:09

    where can you get a control module for that shifter? This seems to be the only place I could find info that pretains to the shifters on the G970. Same SE4201 11j internal shifter failure code. Tested shifter control modual with a regulated power supply and found that it was returning source voltage from all output pins of modual my refrence voltage to both position sensors was fine @5v. So the module was the culprate....now heres the issue I was told by multiple suppliers that I could not get a control modual and had to buy the whole shifter for $2200. I replaced the shifter but would like to replace the part in the one we have on the bench. Can you be so kind as to let me know where I could get a modual and replacement parts. THANK YOU.

  3. #3DB22015-02-24 14:32

    Well this was some time ago but the control module was available from the dealer. We simply located and repaired a broken wire inside the shifter. Unit still functioning at this time. Good luck!

  4. #4carnoustie2026-02-22 06:42

    Just wanted to say what a help this was. Was pushing snow in Saskatchewan with my G970 and had that Gear shifter code come up and was dead in the water. With a leatherman, knife and some mechanics wire got going again and back to the truck. Thank you! The wires ended up breaking off so far down that pig tail looking connector that I had to cut the plastic and break it back clean to the body. A little liquid electrical tape the seal it and some solder and it’s back to new.

  5. #5Blue-Fox2026-03-04 15:46

    I have 3 G970/976 units and these shifters are fragile. The guys get western with it or something and they are almost double that cost now. Thanks for the repair tip, if anyone has a repair for the release cable I would be much obliged to fix one I have thats busted. Anyone smart enough to make a "push button" shifter would be the shizz...