Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Walk behind plate compactor

wilddanz71 ยท 2008-11-16 16:03

I am looking for a plate compactor. I dont need a real large one, I would like to spend around $1500. I have found several on the internet. Can any one recomend a brand or model to me? I found this on Ebay, what do you think? http://cgi.ebay.com/DIESEL-PLATE-CO...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Replies19
  1. #1AtlasRob2008-11-16 16:43

    In the UK, Bomag are by far the most popular reversable plate compactor and I think Wacker are probably about the most common in the forward only stakes, this would be my experience as supplied to sites by the hire companies.

  2. #2wilddanz712008-11-16 16:48

    those are both brands that are popular, but a little out of my price range. I will only be using it a few times I year, as I am a house builder that dose his own excavation.

  3. #3backhoe12008-11-16 17:08

    I bought one from Packer Brothers on EBAY a few years ago, it was cheap and has worked real good. I also bought an engine from the same company as the one you're looking at and it was JUNK. just my .02

  4. #4wilddanz712008-11-16 17:12

    Did you buy the same compactor as the on ein the link? was the engine for the compactor, and what was Junk about it?

  5. #5BAREIN2008-11-16 17:28

    I would think the one in the link has to be junk for that kind of money, I would stik with brands like Wacker, Multiquip Mikasa, or Bomag, something that has A Honda, Robins or similar gas engine that you will always be able to get parts for. You might want to look or place a wanted add on craigslist or other classifieds, with the down economy there are going to be plenty of people that need money.

  6. #6dist32008-11-16 18:15

    Using wacker and mikasa , parts always available if needed. I know our local rental branches i.e United,cat rental all turn over there product often maybe find good deal on used ones.

  7. #7wilddanz712008-11-16 18:24

    I agree that the ones on ebay maybe junk. I realy want a wacker. I got a price on a wacker model 1340 for $1399.00 But this is a little smaller than I want. I have got prices on a wacker model 1550 from $2100.00 to $2800.00 That is more than I want to spend:Banghead

  8. #8Steve Frazier2008-11-16 18:53

    Something's not right with the ebay sale. My 5hp gas Mikasa cost $2500 ten years ago. I can't believe a diesel powered unit that is up to commercial use is going to cost that much less. The one shown also features a reverser, the tamper can change direction of travel. You won't be getting the item pictured. I'm very pleased with my Mikasa, I've had years of service from it. It originally came with a Wisconsin/Robin 5hp engine, that wore out after 8 years of heavy use and I replaced it with a Honda. Having used both engines, if I were purchasing today I'd look for a Honda powered unit. The replacement parts are much easier to come by and less expensive than those of the Wisconsin/Robin (built by Subaru).

  9. #9wilddanz712008-11-16 19:08

    I agree, that it is kind of hard to believe. i sent the seller an email asking him if the unit had reverse. I know it seems to be built cheap, but if it last me 4-5 years then I guess it might not be a bad deal. And the seller claims that they also sell repacement parts for the engines? $1500 shiped with a deisel and reverse:beatsme

  10. #10wilddanz712008-11-16 19:13

    I have also considered one of these units I could buy 2-3 of these for the price of one of the big names!!! http://www.powerlandonline.com/category/power_land.plate_compactor/

  11. #11gmads012008-11-16 19:54

    If you have the time, I'd hold out for the Wacker 1550 model that you want. I have bought two - one off of E-bay and one off of Craigslist. Both were less than $1000 and were in good shape. Granted, I didn't need one right away so patience was on my side. Unfortunately, this economy may allow for some good deals in the next few months.

  12. #12backhoe12008-11-16 22:47

    The packer I bought looks just like the one in your second link for $500, except mine has a honda engine. The JUNK I was referring to is from your first link, they sell imitation honda engines that burn alot of oil and are made from EXTREMELY CHEAP components.

  13. #13Kgmz2008-11-16 23:52

    We have a Dynapac LF90 that I was going to buy on the internet until I found out that my local John Deere dealer had it in stock for about the same price as it would have cost to get one shipped to me with the shipping costs. I got the LF90 because it had the water tank so I could also use it for patching asphalt. You can buy a Multiquip or Dynapac compactors this size for right around $1500. We paid $1830 for our Dynapac LF90.

  14. #14CM19952008-11-17 08:03

    Stick with a name brand plate and engine. My Mikasa with a Honda is tough as nails. If you have never had the umm.... pleasure of owning some odd ball piece of equipment where parts are non-existent, then by all means go for it.:cool2

  15. #15Orchard Ex2008-11-17 15:42

    I bought a small forward only plate from Northern about 3 years ago. Subaru engine, made in Korea. It has been great. So last year I wanted a little bit bigger reversible. Northern had one (it looked a lot like the one in your ad) with a Honda engine so I gave it a try. It broke within the first 5 minutes. Received parts from Northern, it broke again within about 5 hours. This one was manufactured in China. Luckily I had kept the shipping crate and Northern made good on it's return policy. I bought a Wacker with the Wacker engine (made by Subaru-Robin). It's great. I have found that with the Subaru engines it is key to run the carb dry if you aren't going to use it for a couple weeks. If I do that they are all "2 pull" starters.

  16. #16Nac2008-11-17 17:58

    I have 3 diffrent plates and all mine are Weber MT

  17. #17jrtraderny2008-11-17 18:15

    I also have a Weber with a Honda on it. It works great !! Unless you're going to use it 8 hrs. a day 7 days a week don't bother with the diesel, it's not worth it. Stick with a good brand name, or you're wasting your money. jr

  18. #18capt_met2008-11-17 20:18

    i have one of the forward only units from northern tool also. it has been great. it will be hard for me to spend the extra money to go with a brand name compactor next go around. good luck

  19. #19wilddanz712008-11-19 19:17

    I am going to take you guys advise, and buy a WACKER I dont want to regret buying a piece of junk. Thanks again for your input!!!!