Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Water main installation pricing

J Olender ยท 2010-05-26 00:10

I'm bidding 3000' of c-900 water main. The bid is only for labor, no parts. My question is this, I need to come up with an installation cost, mainly labor hrs. The work path is very rural, no streets to deal with. There's a lot more to this whole thing that I've already considered, but this part is a little cloudy. Thanks, folks!

Replies8
  1. #1d9gdon2010-05-27 09:06

    I use RS Means Heavy Construction Cost Data as a guide when bidding utility jobs. It breaks each component down to material and labor prices, such as type of pipe and size of pipe. It also considers the type of trenching you'll encounter, whether it's easy digging or rock. If you use it, it gives a general price and then you have to use location factors that increase or decrease the general price according to what part of the country you're located.

  2. #2J Olender2010-05-27 10:53

    Water main pricing Thank, that sounds quite useful. This cost data, how would I get a hold of it? Is it on line? Or is it in book form? Thanks for your response d9gdon!

  3. #3Pecord Exc2010-05-27 11:31

    Unless you have experience in this as in doing it for someone else and have a really good comfort level, dont do it, you can loose your shirt if there are leaks and you spend 2 weeks trying to track it down. C-900 seems easy but there are so many variables that can go wrong, id rather see you install ductile for your first time. a lot more forgiving. If you can do the trenching and get an experienced crew to lay the pipe and asseble joints that may be good. Water main is pretty easy to do but it is even easier to loose a lot of money on.

  4. #4J Olender2010-05-27 11:45

    Thanks for the heads up Pecord! I've worked with some ductile in the past but not with c-900. Out here in Ca, there are a lot of experienced guys looking for work. My thought was to put together a crew with the guys I network with. I'd sure like to keep my shirt. But if you never try, you'll never learn!

  5. #5Pecord Exc2010-05-27 12:50

    so true

  6. #6d9gdon2010-05-27 13:02

    It's online and in book form too. http://rsmeans.reedconstructiondata.com/MeansCostWorks.aspx

  7. #7heavylift2010-05-27 13:28

    C-900 is pretty much standard pipe here.... There are some jobs that spec DI ... 3000' doesn't sound like much.... 2 weeks in and out.... or 2 months in and out... the time is the scary part... 10 days or 40 days... the field employees... 7ish ... 3 operators 3 laborers 1 foreman the equipment.... 3... 2 hoes and a loader .... Trench box? the office... the over head another thing you can look at is previous bids in the area... get an idea of the costs

  8. #8Acivil2010-05-27 22:57

    Do you have to bleed and test? Make sure who ever is supplying the material is giving you good pipe... not bleached crap that has been sitting in the sun for 3 years. Down this way you can trench and lay 6"-12" 36" deep for $4-$7 per foot if you are in good digging. I don't remember what the dirt is like in weimar, and I asume payscale and prices are higher, but thats what we see around here.