I have a 96 Case 580 SL 4x4 with an extendahoe. It has gradually lost power in the hydralics. It will not move any 2 parts at one time. i.e. I cannot roll the front bucket and lift it at the same time. The same holds true for the back hoe. I can roll the bucket but not lift the boom. Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong here. And before anyone asks, yes I have just replaced the filter with a CASE filter. I appreciate anyhelp with this. I just use it around my home, but it is quite aggravating.
Sounds like your hydraulic pump is getting weak. Did it start getting weak/slow all at once or just getting worse over time? Also have you changed the hydraulic fluid lattly? When you drain the hydraulic tank most of the time the pump will loose prime since it is higher than the oil level and it takes awhile to get oil back up to the pump with out help and will damage the pump if it is ran to long dry.
Change fluid and filter before you do anything drastic. If that doesn't help the problem, I'd start looking at the pump itself and other componentry.
Now is the time to check the pump pressures, before it machines itself and sends brass or bronze through the entire hydraulic system.
I was thinking it was the pump getting weak. I have not changed the fluid, but it sounds like I need to do that. The funny thing about it is it is plenty strong with just one implement, it just will not move two at once. I can pick the front end off the ground with the front bucket, and can left teh rear end with the stabilizers, one at a time, but it will not move two at once. I cannot even roll the front bucket and drop the front end. If I do two at once, the whole movement stops until I let off on one control. Thanks for all the replies, looks like I will be checking some items this weekend. And if I remember, it kinda just happened one day. I do not remember it gradually getting weaker, it just would not operate properly one day.
Does the machine have auxillary hydraulics? If it does make sure they are not partily engaged and robbing oil. Also this age of machine should have priority swing which has an extra valve in the loader control valve that could be causing your problem. How does the steering act when a loader function is used?
It does not have auxillary hydralics. The steering started whinning back before the loader and backhoe started acting funny. If I have this priority swing, is there anyway to bypass it or override it?
I would suggest you have the pressures and flows tested. Sound like the pump is getting weak since your steering is affected. The steering has the ultimate priority for saftey reasons and has its own relief valve which is lower than the loader and backhoe relief. The pump is a 2 section pump with the large section feeding the steering, loader and then the backhoe. The small section feeds the backhoe only. Find a dealer and have them flowtest the pump and you will find your problem. They should be able to flowtest the system in about and hour, 2 hours at the most and tell you if the pump and pressures are good or not.