Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Weak hydraulics and flow testing a gear pump

roddy ยท 2022-11-11 19:58

Hello, I have an LHD with weak hydraulic boom functions. I plan to check the return filter for debris and flow test the pump which is a gear pump spec says 26 GPM @ 2300 rpm. Is a flow test generally done in line?

Replies10
  1. #1Delmer2022-11-11 22:06

    Load, Haul, Dump??? Had to google it, not a typical question. Yes, flow tests would have to be done in line.

  2. #2Nige2022-11-12 03:35

    If functions are weak I would have thought maybe a pressure test would be a good first option. Far easier to perform than a flow test.

  3. #3roddy2022-11-12 07:51

    Yes to LHD and thank you.

  4. #4roddy2022-11-12 07:52

    Pressure was topping out at 1200psi and should be over 3k

  5. #5HardRockNM2022-11-12 08:12

    What model of LHD?

  6. #6Nige2022-11-12 08:44

    If turning up the relief valve slightly does not increase the pressure then I would be inclined to say the pump is fcuked.....

  7. #7John C.2022-11-12 10:49

    Gear pumps are pretty simple. It is usually far easier to remove the pump and disassemble it for inspection than to plumb a flow meter into the system and run analysis tests. If the pump is bad, then you have to remove and disassemble it anyway. How much operational time is on the pump is another factor. Gear pumps in many applications are good for less than 5,000 hours.

  8. #8roddy2022-11-12 12:29

    Copco ST 1030 I'll try that next time! Flow tested and it only got about 15GPM which fell to almost nothing around 1000psi..? It was easy to get at the pressure line so we tested it first. Yup she's toast!

  9. #9John C.2022-11-12 12:41

    Taking bites out of itself. Thanks for the photo and follow up.

  10. #10Delmer2022-11-12 14:32

    I like the pattern on the gear, wore through the housing enough that it was off kilter.