Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Weight estimation: Cat FB227

JMR-TBAY · 2021-10-06 22:21

Hey there, I just picked up an early 90’s Cat FB 227 (feller buncher) that was converted to an excavator. The seller reported it as being 45 tons, but I think it would be closer to 20 ton. The seller advised it has a D7 undercarriage. My gut would suggest that the excavator conversion would shed some weight. A google search for specs came up empty. Any help would be appreciated!!

Replies10
  1. #1Bluox2021-10-06 22:50

    should be around 35 ton. Bob

  2. #2JMR-TBAY2021-10-06 22:54

    Thanks! Got it for a crazy good price for my area. Turbo 3208 engine that leaks some oil. The machine is surprisingly tight. Purchased to develop a 150 acre heavily wooded lot for my home build. Will be my first time operating anything larger than a skid steer.

  3. #3JMR-TBAY2021-10-07 18:15
  4. #4petepilot2021-10-07 19:48

    well be carefull you can knock big hills over with that thing

  5. #5scottwolowich2021-10-07 20:01

    That would be sweet with a dozer blade on it!

  6. #6JMR-TBAY2021-10-07 20:10

    I better become proficient real quick…I don’t wanna think about the fuel burn rate.

  7. #7scottwolowich2021-10-07 20:15

    Go slow and get smooth then speed things up. Where abouts in Ontario are you? Wait.. I guess thunder bay haha, name gave it away. I'm in the Sault.

  8. #8Bluox2021-10-07 20:43

    Yea that boom looks about as tight as a size 8 derby hat. Years ago a buyer can thru here and bought every one of the 225 machines that was for sale and shipped them to Russia. A collectives sigh of relief was heard from Cat mechanics. Good luck hope you have a fat wallet Bob

  9. #9JMR-TBAY2021-10-08 02:16

    I don’t quite understand the derby hat reference. What are the main issues to watch out for? I’ve heard the 3208 engines don’t have the longest life span.

  10. #10Simon C2021-10-16 21:29

    if you have problems Gary Roy from Demand Maintenance might be able to help you out. He worked alot on those units. I use to work in T. Bay in 80's. Warren Kilborn is another guy from Kilborn Mechanical that is mobile also. Hope all goes well for you. Simon C