Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Welding bushings to remove….bushings wont weld

psu927 · 2020-10-02 16:38

Re-busing and pinning a hitachi 50. Tried to weld (flux core) the swing post bushings to remove them, and they wont weld. Just a sputtering mess, wont make a bead at all. The smaller boom bushings I removed, tried weld with same result. Seems to be some kind of cast steel based on grain structure. Or maybe just super hard? Any ideas?

Replies17
  1. #1Vetech632020-10-02 16:40

    Turn your heat up on your rod and use 7018. It will splatter good but if you work it slow enough you should get enough of a bead run to work. I usually run 1 bead around the interior of the bushing per inch of width.

  2. #2psu9272020-10-02 17:12

    I'll pull the buzbox out and give it a shot

  3. #3Ct Farmer2020-10-02 17:42

    Had good luck with er70s or 7018. Just have to make sure the bushing is washed clean, not with brake cleaner of course.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2020-10-02 20:19

    Had this problem once there made of a sorta compresses metal there sort like those brass pressed together filter things

  5. #5Mobiltech2020-10-02 23:05

    Probably brass in them. Ive found welding still works to remove them even if you cant put a bead down.

  6. #6Txhayseed2020-10-03 00:31

    I’ve had to a fab a home brew tool Before to get some out. Got some plate and cut a disk that was bore diameter and welded it a pipe. Took the zerk out and took my rose bud and went in there and put a Little heat to burn out that old grease that was between the bushing and bore and was able to Drive them out. I’ve also had to Use and air body saw and slice them Top and bottom and spit them In on themselves. Hard to believe those little suckers can stick in there and take so much to get out. They don’t saw easy either.

  7. #7psu9272020-10-03 14:48

    Got them out. I was grounding to the frame and it wasn't transferring to the bushing very well. Also I didn't have them clean enough. Definitely appears to be some brass in them but I got them. Thanks fellas!

  8. #8Jonas3022020-10-03 15:39

    welding a bead or even running lines with a torch sure makes a difference! Are you going to freeze the new ones in or press them?

  9. #9psu9272020-10-03 17:30

    Have them sitting in the freezer now and then gonna rig up some kind of press using all-thread and steel plates

  10. #10Dave Neubert2020-10-03 18:36

    I use a 30 ton bushing press you might get them in with all thread but you will have to tighten then beat with a hammer until they are in

  11. #11suladas2020-10-03 18:36

    Would recommend freezing them with dry ice, it will make a big difference. And then I just use a hammer to get them in, generally doesn't take that much.

  12. #12Jonas3022020-10-03 21:00

    liquid nitrogen and they will go in with your fingers check the welding supply I can get set up for a days rental for $120 threaded rod will work best if someone is running a larger impact on one side while you wail on the other with a large sledge

  13. #13willie592020-10-03 21:07

    WAIT, WHAT, YOU WERE GROUNDING WHERE????????? Rule #1, and rule #2, and rule #3, and rule #4, and rule #5 of welding on machinery...Always always always always always connect your ground clamp as close to the work area as possible. Never under any circumstances ground to a distant point of frame to perform welding work on a machine, you can do thousands of dollars of damage doing that.

  14. #14psu9272020-10-03 21:46

    I grounded right next to the bushing. Just wasn't on the actual bushing. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if the whole problem was that there was still grease on them. That seemed to make the biggest difference

  15. #15willie592020-10-03 22:08

    Thanks for clarifying that.

  16. #16psu9272020-10-03 22:24

    Yeah not interested in frying electrical parts or messing up the swing bearing. Lol

  17. #17HATCHEQUIP2020-10-04 00:21

    Had to roll a set of bearings and polish a crank in a detroit in a ts 14 one time because the owner was grounded on one end and welding on the other end , he went to crank it back up and she was locked down.