When I welded a cracked tooth on our 315c 4ft dirt bucket it was dark outside so I started the machine up and turned on the lights. Can I damage the computer doing this? Is shutting off main disconnect enough protection or do I need to unhook battery while welding?
Cat recommends shutting off the disconnect and placing the ground clamp close to where you are welding. welding on the bucket, put the clamp on the bucket, welding on the engine, put the clamp on the engine.
Volvo says same thing, shut off main battery disconnect, and ground close to work. However, I welded in the house close to the computer once, and i pulled the harness off the computer. I made out fine. Good luck.
We always disconnect the batteries when we weld anywhere on a piece of equipment- and remove them if welding is taking place anywhere near the batteries. The thing to remember when welding on a running piece of equipment is that while running the batteries are being charged witch produces very explosive gas. If you have ever seen a batter explode you will know what I'm talking about. Most engine drive welders provide some auxiliary power, so we always keep a lead light on the truck, if your at the shop you could plug the light into the wall receptacle.
My experience has been a little different....... I once blew the engine ECM on a Gradall mine scaler while welding on the ROPS. Batterys were disconnected and my ground clamp was only inches from my welding. Our Gradall rep told me they recommend unplugging all ECMs before welding. A New Holland tractor had the transmission ECM cooked when a Alamo boom mower was being installed and welding was performed. Again I was told by New Holland that ECMs should be unplugged before welding. I have also been told this by our Kobelco service rep. I DO know once you cook a ECM it gets pricey
We all Disconnect or unhook when welding on equipment - Yet what do we do when welding a beam or plate hanging from a crane?
Use straps/ slings to hang plate or beams...
I should have been more clear, a lot are welded in using chains or steel cables with out shutting off the crane
I recommend takin the bucket off of the machine and then using it as a light source while the turbo cooks your dinner.
I like it :drinkup And that way you won't have to hold a flashlight to your helmet.
I always disconnect the batteries and remove the "brain" from our Sumitomo SH200 when doing any welding. So far, no troubles. Adam