Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Western Snowplow help.

deere88 ยท 2009-01-19 20:46

I know that I probaly ought to put this on a plow site however I am not a member of any so I figured I would put it up here since quite few guys plow. Anyways this summer I put 3/4 inch taller tires on my truck so since my truck sits up higher it doesnt seem like the plow is going down the way it should. When I brought it out in october to make sure it was working properally I had to jake it up to get it to go on because it would push up into the brackets so after that it didnt want to lower. So i turned the know on the hyd pump to release the pessure and it did go down. Well today I brought it out to mess around in the 2 inches of snow we got and for some reason it doesnt seem like it has pressure on the ground. Almost like the truck is holdin it up a little. I know this sounds weird but is there something I need to adjust? I coul probably call a dealer and ask them but i figured I would post it up here first. Maybe it is a figment of my imagination in the past two seasons it seems like it went down with more force. BTW it is the ultra mount. Any suggestions???

Replies4
  1. #1bill onthehill2009-01-19 21:16

    you do have slack in the chain on the lift cylinder right? Is the cylinder fully retracted? you may have ice in the pump which will hold the piston up. with the plow control in float position you should be able to push the piston all the way down just like you would to dismount it. I have a 98 western with the dash mounted joystick and the only time it would not go down was after I shortened the chain to lift it higher while stuck. after plowing for a day and a half it took me about 15 minutes to figure out what was wrong!! Bill

  2. #2deere882009-01-19 21:22

    never even checked to see if the cylinder arm was down. I did check the chain and there was slack in it but not much. I am still thinking it is something with hydrolics. This thing has probably only been used 5 times.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2009-01-19 21:30

    Drop the plow to the ground and inspect the lift chain. Is it slack? Is the hydraulic cylinder fully collapsed or has it bottomed out? If you've used all the travel you'll have to lengthen the lift chain to get the plow to lower properly. By raising the truck, you've also changed the attack angle of the blade. By rights you should lower the attachment point of the plow by the same amount you've raised the truck to keep the same attack angle.

  4. #4Dewoc192009-01-19 22:20

    i was going to say it sounds like the chain needs to be adjusted, if you raised the truck up you need to lower the chain