Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What a double standard…

Welder Dave ยท 2020-05-20 23:27

Been working on grooming my MX and flat tracks so I can open. Just want to have practice with no spectators and limited numbers of riders who would follow social distancing guidelines. Golf courses are allowed to be open with restrictions and shopping malls are starting to open but motorsports have to remain closed. What a farce! The elitist golfers can do their thing but people wearing helmets on motorized vehicles have to follow a different set of rules. I hope a petition gets started. I'll be the first one to sign it. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-raceways-reopen-1.5576383

Replies4
  1. #1heymccall2020-05-20 23:53

    Same ******** here...100 people can shop in a Big Box lumber store (which are deemed essential), but a book store can't open, even with all of the social distancing rules adhered to. Hell, I see more people in a convenience store/ gas station than I would see in, say, a book store. And the best part is, since race tracks and bookstores are considered non essential, if you are high risk, you don't have to go.

  2. #2crane operator2020-05-20 23:57

    Expecting rules to make sense right now may be a waste of your time Dave. However, while reading your article on the status of racing in canada- I read the next article at that news source, and it seems the rules aren't the only thing not making sense. "The Cree artist, who is from the Fisher River Cree Nation in Manitoba and now lives in Toronto, depicts colonization, sexuality and loss through his gender-fluid alter ego Miss Chief Eagle Testickle." And I have no idea what to make of that. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/kent-monkman-backlash-trudeau-painting-1.5577452

  3. #3mitch5042020-05-21 00:11

    Man, I read that whole article about Miss Chief Eagle Testickle (*** Test Tickle? you check birds to see if they are ticklish?). I didn't understand but about 2 sentences in the whole article.

  4. #4Welder Dave2020-05-21 02:26

    Off highway vehicles are allowed on some public lands with no one to ensure any guidelines are followed but a private facility following all the guidelines can't be open. This is just stupid but I will say that Castrol Raceway in the article above wasn't following the provincial rules. 50 people max. at gatherings means 50 people not 50 or so participants with 20 other friends and family members plus the staff at the facility. It was max. 15 people a couple weeks ago which I thought meant I could have 14 riders. Not a fan of Castrol. Had experience with them in the past and a road racer died in 2018 because they refused to move concrete barriers for car races back from the edge of the track for motorcycles. First thing the owner said on the news is the RCMP cleared the track of any wrong doing and he didn't witness it so doesn't know what happened. Total BS, he knew exactly what happened. The first thing he should have done is offer condolence's to the rider's family and racing community. I think there's an ongoing lawsuit and a lot riders refuse to go there. https://www.albertaparks.ca/albertaparksca/advisories-public-safety/ohv-bans/