Ok so I'm beginning to think (ok so I've though this for a while) that my company is retarded and keeps shooting itself in the foot. Everyone bitches about the trucks being heaped right up or they under rate the truck load sizes for the day in the paperwork. I hate overloading trucks because a) they get stuck everywhere b) they go way slower c) super hard on them and then they break down all the time so you lose production in the long run. My solution is I always make sure they are "full" so it's not catching anyones eye with a half loaded truck driving around but not overloaded. What do you rate your trucks for? Cat 740 - 16m3 (21yd3) spec says 18m3 level and 25m3 heaped Cat 769 - 16m3 (21yd3) spec says 17m3 level and 24m3 heaped Cat 773 - 24m3 (31yd3) spec says 35m3 heaped Komatsu 605-7 - 24m3 (31yd3) spec says 29m3 level and 40m3 heaped Everything we own has greedy boards (heres a 605-7 stock and then our version) Now either we bill by the BANK cubic meter and factor in some crazy spillage ratios to our load counts or someone in the office needs a smack upside the head. Plus why bitch about trucks being overfull and then under rate them? If you only know yd3 that's fine I can convert the numbers.
Hi Vantage TeS, I guess maybe I am missing your point, but why not load up an average load, dump it and measure it. 3 loads would be more accurate and measure them. If there is a big time bust in your quantities cross section the cut.
Well, I don't really know what the volume is of the trucks we run, but I do know the tonnage. Our little trucks are 240 ton, our middle trucks are 320 ton, and our big trucks are 380 (Liebherr) and 395 ton (Cat). They like us to heap them up good. They overload at 20% over their load rating, so the 240 tonners are good to 287 tons (overload at 288), the 320 tonners are good to 383 tons (overload at 324), the Liebherrs are good to 455 (overload at 456) and the Cats are good to 473 (overload at 474). They like us to get as close to the overload as possible since the bigger loads really do add up fast. Once they hit overload, it sets off alarms, restricts the speed of the truck, and the load has to be dumped in the shovel pit. I know that really isn't what you were looking for, but it's how we run up here. Brian
I think the best way is what dozerdave said. but I think we use to use around 22 or so for a 40ton truck at the last company I work for and we never ran out of dirt. but it all changed on the soil we where in. they had different # for different soils clay vs rock and so on. but 22yds was a rule of thumb.
22yd3 there Pip? That's pretty close to the number we run, must be bank.
We just compleated a 1.6 million cuyd job with our 605 Komatsu's. When we started the job we were rating them at 40 yds per load. After the first topo, we dropped it to 38. After the second topo it was dropped to 36, and we were able to hold that the rest of the job. Our side boards are as high as yours, but not quite as long. They stop about two feet shy of the end of the bed. The PayHaulers have always been 26 yds. The A-40 Volvo's are 18 yds. We have only been running the 605's for a little over a year now, and this was the first dirt (not shot rock) job weve done with them. We load the crap outta them! The Payhaulers have been around for YEARS in the company, so the bosses kinda have them figured out for the dirt jobs. Rock always comes up a little less because of voids and such. The A-40's over the years have averaged out at 18. Mainly because we use them on wet, sloppy muck jobs. One good sand job we did with them, we averaged 22, but those were heaped to the sky! Jason
We use BCM's for our Waste Production ratings based on the Shovel/Loader's Pay Scale. Depends on the drive-type. Our Komatsu's (830e and 930e) are 240 ton and 310 ton respectively. They are Wheel Motor trucks (electric drive) and are loaded based on volume limits. Somewhat similar to what Alco mentioned except 1/4 of our loads are air (space inbetween the rocks, each rock being on average 1.5 ' 2) We do run a few 793 Cat Trucks where Spillage is an issue. With a standard 8% ramp over 70-90' vertical rise there's one to two shifts under full engine load. Biggggg spillage,