Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What Asphalt Boots?

The Tackman · 2010-08-21 19:23

I prefer Red Wings model 202. What do other asphalt people wear?

Replies23
  1. #1andoman2010-08-22 07:56

    I like the red wing asphalt boots but I have a problem with red wing's no warranty on anything that touches asphalt policy.

  2. #295zIV2010-08-22 09:47

    Or Concrete, but I didn't know there where special boots for asphalt, what is so special about them?

  3. #3The Tackman2010-08-22 09:55

    That must just be a store by store policy because I have not found that to be true where I have purchased Red Wings.

  4. #4andoman2010-08-22 13:29

    Yeah quite some time ago about 5 of us bought them up here in Michigan (from different stores) and the glued soles broke on all of our boots. I paid to have mine stitched on but when they wore out I just bought a pair of wolverines from the feed store.

  5. #5The Tackman2010-08-22 15:36

    What model did you buy? All the Red Wings I have purchased had stitched soles and were rated good for heat and oil.

  6. #6andoman2010-08-22 18:41

    Don't remember now it was some time ago (maybe the first version of them) but I had to take it to get the soles stitched back on.

  7. #7buckfever2010-10-16 18:34

    if your willing to spend the money viberg boots are the way to go. I watched two of our guys boots just fall apart mine are still like brand new.

  8. #8DirtHauler2010-10-16 18:39

    I wear 202 also.

  9. #9Asphalt/Dirtman2011-01-08 19:03

    Had a par of red wings for 3 years of asphalt abuse, held up amazingly well. So i bought the same pair again. not sure the number.

  10. #10The Tackman2011-05-15 22:14

    I am in the process of ordering the COFRA Asphalt boots. They look pretty good on the internet, so I am willing to be a guinea pig and order a pair sight unseen. Wish me luck.

  11. #11The Tackman2011-05-28 10:22

    The boots came in yesterday via UPS and right out of the box I noticed they seem to be very high quality. I will wear them over the weekend so they can loosen up a bit and Tuesday will wear them at work for the first time. I will report back with a detailed review.

  12. #12The Tackman2011-06-12 11:23

    I really like the boots except for the fact that they were supposed to be sized like the Red Wings. I wear a 10.5 wide in Red Wings so that is what I ordered. They are about a half size small but the right width. A friend of mine is going to buy these boots and I will order the size 11 and all will be right with my feet.

  13. #13nismo2011-08-19 22:03

    It's been a few months now what do you think of the quality of the Cofra Boots? I'm looking to purchase my bf a better pair of boots that can handle the 300 degree asphalt. Where did you buy them from? It looks like there are hard to find here in the US? He is typically a size 9.5 in regular shoes do you think a 10 is better based on your findings if you still like these? Thanks!

  14. #14The Tackman2011-08-20 01:03

    They are great boots so far. Get a size bigger than you normally wear they seem to run on the small side. I ordered them from Total Relief Footwear in Texas. Good luck and I hope he likes them.

  15. #15nismo2011-08-20 11:31

    Fantastic! I'll contact them

  16. #16emt5662012-03-09 16:04

    I am curious to know how the COFRA Asphalt boots have worked out for you guys over time this far. I'm looking into them for some of our paving workers and found the video for Total Relief Footwear. http://www.totalrelieffootwear.com/cofra-safety-footwear The video looks like this may be one of the first boots that actually got it right when it comes to an asphalt boot but I'd love to hear from someone that’s actually worn it on the job. Are they really as comfortable, durable, & heat resistant as the video and testimonial make it sound? Does the smooth bottom cause the boots to be anymore slippery on surfaces that a regular boot covered in tack and rocks would be? Thanks for your input.

  17. #17nismo2012-03-10 11:11

    I bought my fiance them for xmas and they fit good he said he likes them and can't wait to try them out....but won't know until Paving season starts in May how they hold up. I bought him a 9.5 his old workboots were a 10 but he said he could probably have been ok with a 9. So they may run a little big. He wears 9.5 for all his sneakers addidas, puma, etc.

  18. #18fronbi2012-06-06 05:40

    Purchased last season and loved them - extremely comfortable but unfortunately they lasted only 4 mos before rubbery cover wore through soles. Very disappointed that boots made for asphalt would not last.

  19. #19DirtHauler2012-06-06 06:34

    which ones did you buy?

  20. #20oberon42012-07-03 15:17

    I would suggest to buy Cofra 1/2 size smaller starting from size 12. There is really no generic way to convert european sizes to US sizes.

  21. #21TEC2012-07-03 23:10

    Redbacks. Wore a pair of my brother in laws while visiting my sister in Sydney. Didn't buy a pair but was thinking about them, and had her bring me a pair when she came over. Now I have four pair for everything I do. Probably got about 10-15 others into them too.

  22. #22Mlight2012-09-20 16:20

    So the Cofra boots are worth getting? They last? And can stand up to the harsh conditions of asphalt without having to replace them every 6 months? I am looking to buy a pair. Or should I just get some red wings?

  23. #23Tacky Dave2013-03-22 16:00

    I just received my Cofra asphalt boots and I'am not impressed.The boot fit just fine but the way they lace up is not what we are use to,and do not pull up tight around your ankles.I tried ordering the eight inch boot which I would have preferred,but had to settle for the 6 inch.It's hard to describe the lacing and grommet style they use but I would not purchase these again not with out them changing this very important piece of the boot. And as for buying them on-line I should have known better,but for 90.00 dollar's It was a chance worth taking,since there is not a "great" boot out their.In the 30 yrs. of paving I have done, Red Wings have been what I have used,but I have not liked the change's to their boot's over the last 15 yrs.