Didn't really see a category for this. Anyone else have a bear that seems to be fond of petroleum products? About 5 years ago I had one steal a full one gallon can of gas, and I was never able to find the can, so he must have taken it quite a distance. You can see him with it in his mouth in the first picture. A couple of nights ago he tore up a couple of five gallon cans of diesel that I had near my backhoe. I can't figure out why he is attracted to it.
You know, now that you mention it, I once stored a couple of gallon containers with used motor oil next to my outdoor fireplace. They were there for quite a while, as I would burn it only sometimes. Well, one day, all the jugs of oil were gone...I mean missing. Well, I thought, why would someone steal used motor oil. Then one day I saw the jugs empty, and torn up on a neighbors property. You guessed it...the bear took them and shredded them. I bet he pooped for a week strait!!
That be one of them Oregon huffing bears.
Or arsonist bears.
My example happened in PA, but I am sure the Oregon huffing bears are migrating East...LOL
I forgot to mention that I also had my wood splitter up in the woods behind my house, and something bit a hole in its plastic gas tank. This happened before the theft of the one gallon gas can.
Oh’ yeah. They love to chew on expensive buckets of gear lube. And hv underground airfield power cables.
That must have been one of those new environmentally conscious bears that doesn't run on petroleum products.
Next we'll be seeing Elon musk oxen.
Those a-holes are already busy this spring. One fatality on JBER in Anchorage and six maulings on the score card.
I knew it. Smokey bear and 'only you can prevent forest fires' was a misdirection campaign all along! Smokey was out there starting fires himself. No doubt he was trying to accelerate global warming, or making us more dependent on foreign oil, or something to do with the commies....
Sh*t posting about bears is fun. Killing time at Alaska Airlines Freight, waiting for my stuff. I think the freight crew was hitting the liquor hard last night on Front Street. Pidder, padder, let’s get at er’.
I was unsure where to put this thread, but since there is no "weird stuff" category, I think this works. Besides, I clearly mentioned "backhoe" in the original post, and I can clearly see a photo of a backhoe boom and bucket in one of the posts above.
I think I saw a backhoe boom in the bear pics too
Geeze I thought mice and rats were bad. You guys might need to call the tiger king.
A friend had one get into their mobile home hunting camp.....wished he had a camera there when the bear bit the full can of bug spray..lmao. Ed
What a waste of a good bear skin coat.
Biting the wires, I can see. A lot of manufacturers are using peanut oil in making the insulation. In my area, worst thing is vermin, mice, coons n squirrels.
You guys have the extra ornery ones up there. The ones around here are generally a pretty docile nuisance.
I wish i had a picture and may be i can get one. A guy i know was hunting they had a cabin and a tent . The tent was closer to were they were hunting . A bear got in the tent and chewed a camp stove propane cylinder open. The same bear tryed to get into the cabin one night they killed it. I think it was a Elk hunt the guy shot a record elk and the bear was good sized to. I dont know if i would have belived this story but i saw the pictures .
Fish and game euthanized a big black bear here yesterday. Said he was 100 pounds over weight because he had been feeding out of people's garbage cans. He was used to people and had already been re-located before and was trap wary now.
Yeah, I figure that "my" bear is going to meet a similar fate. We keep all of our trash cans in the garage, except one which is strictly for cat litter and non food related trash. Well someone in the family put an empty soup can in the outside trash can, and that was all it took to attract ol' brer bear. The contents were scattered all over the driveway yesterday morning, and as I headed to work I saw all of the neighbors trash scattered down the county road because they had put them out for collection in the morning. I doubt that the bear will stop that now, and someone will probably kill him before long.
This thread reminds me of the bear hunting story from when Kev's mate Nigel (F'kin legend) went to America.
We have a sliding glass door from our bedroom to the outside, and this morning there is a nose smear at about my eye level on the outside of the door. I'd hate to have ol' brer bear lean a little too hard on the door while we are sleeping.
Waking up eye to eye with one of those stink monsters would be the nightmare of a life time.
A carpenter I met used to breed Jack Russell Terriers. His stud dog was a killing machine, ~18 pounds of fence climbing fury. A loose cat was a dead cat. One year a camp owner was so impressed that he took a whole litter up there for bear security. Apparently, a grizzly is well deterred by a yelling biting pack of 4 legged killer bees! Screw that, I'm outta here!! He did not lose any dogs due to speed and pack teamwork. It was just not worth it for the bear.
Pound for pound a JR must be the best fighting dog around, especially if there is more than one of them.
What do bears run on? obviously the first bear was gas powered, second diesel powered, obviously one bear is experimenting with running on alternative fuels like waste oil, and the bear in Alaska was obviously an electric hybrid.
I think that first bear must be an International. He seemed to start on gas, then later switched over to diesel.