Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What do you appreciate most in a hydraulic excavator ?

lonkinggroup ยท 2012-05-06 23:18

Except engine, hydraulic system, cab, operation system and brand, what other details should be paid attention to or as for reference when buy one?

Replies12
  1. #1robin yates uk2012-05-06 23:26

    reliability and excellent dealer backup

  2. #2ddigger2012-05-06 23:56

    Having it paid for #1. Ease of maintainence, parts avalibility, customer service from dealer. Transport costs. And brand perception of potental clients. There was a time in this area, if you didnt own a CAT or DEERE, many local contractors would not use you due to percieved reliability issues. I am speaking as an owner operator.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2012-05-07 00:06

    Quality steel and top welding procedures are a must as well. Good hose and hard lines. All lines well clamped for vibration. Electrical system designed and routed for reliability. Judicious use of castings in high stress areas. Boom and stick stress relieved. Proper sized replaceable bushings at wear points. Hardened pins. Buckets built with steel that lasts, and welded with full penetration. Wear strips where needed. Quality seals and O-rings, so it don't leak like a pig after a short time. After that part is done, stock the local dealers with 95% of what it needs to be repaired, and have the rest available overnight. Keep well trained technicians on hand for the repairs that will occur. If you get these right, you will be on your way. I have seen many problems in the areas I mentioned regarding some of the brands I have been around. It takes more than the short list you posted to make a quality machine. Anyone can build a cheap throwaway machine, but I can't afford to own one at even 1/3 the price of a proven performer.

  4. #4willie592012-05-07 00:14

    It shouldn't break down. But man has yet to make something that doesn't. When it does...getting the parts. No hassle, no shipping overnight from half way across the world. Machine is down, expensive enough being idle, don't need added expense of costly overnight air freight.

  5. #5Bala2012-05-07 00:23

    as said, parts back up but also parts people who are actually parts people, not data entry clerks, I can email for parts for one of the big brands, part number and description, put model and serial No on the mail and if I have one number wrong, even just a sequence as in 0185 instead of 0815 they will send it back number not good. If I order by description only, not part No, I get no response. Another big brand, nil stock on those parts. big $ for emergency order, that is for a very common grader. So as suggested look at backup then machine

  6. #6cjplanthire2012-05-09 16:23

    reliability and easy to reach service points, smoothness in operation, kinda like hitachi or doosan

  7. #7Reid2012-05-09 20:57

    Ease of service, Reliability, Power and Robustness, less corny electric systems and more mechanical

  8. #8cjplanthire2012-05-11 06:58

    here is one everybody forgat nice and sweet and easy on diesel a real money earner!!!!!!!!

  9. #9Bluetop Man2012-05-11 09:10

    Joy stick swing.

  10. #10robin yates uk2012-05-11 09:30

    I'm from the UK,what is joystick swing?

  11. #11pp13bnos2012-05-11 10:05

    Noise level inside the cab is something that comes to mind too. Some of the pump "whine" noise, could get to you. But then again, maybe that was due to the age and hours of the machines that I've looked at. :beatsme

  12. #12robin yates uk2012-05-12 09:23

    in the UK the term "joy stick swing" is never heard of so explain please, thank you