Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what do you guys do about mice moving into your machine????

whatwas ยท 2011-12-04 07:21

I have a 580 K that the mice have taken over! I've put traps, mouse poison (they seem to love that stuff) even parked the darn thing in a big puddle and the mice are there. I"ve removed the cab head liner and taken out a nest around the heater core twice, now it smells like mouse piZZ everytime it warms up, anybody have any "works for me" remedies??

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies6
  1. #1alrman2011-12-04 07:55

    Here's an old thread that discusses this - HeavyEquipmentForums & another HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Tinkerer2011-12-04 08:39

    No one has mentioned glue traps. I recently had a mouse in the house that repeatedly stole the bait out of a spring type wooden trap and never got caught. It even tripped the trap. I went to the hardware store and purchased a box of glue traps for about $5.00. I caught the mouse the first night I had the trap out. I caught five more that week with the same trap. If a mouse even puts one foot on the glue he is not leaving it. I simply drown the mouse and pull it out of the glue and reuse the trap. The glue is waterproof and SUPER sticky. I don't know yet how effective the glue is in freezing temperatures. I will know before long though. Here is a link that will show the brand I use. It is non-toxic to pets and children according to the product info. I would guess that any brand of glue trap would be just as deadly for a mouse. http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/glue-mouse-trap

  3. #3Nige2011-12-04 11:03

    Insert a cat ..?

  4. #4leisureexpress2011-12-04 14:42

    Here is a video of how to make a bucket trap. Another mod is to put antifreeze in the bottom instead of water which would obviously be better for cold climates. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSk79YcuIRQ After you deal with a couple of their messes, this video seems more fitting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

  5. #5bowen2011-12-05 07:38

    Ha! That 1st one way too long, but funny. That kid never drilled a hole or cut a wire before. This bucket trap idea has been used by farmers for many decades. They put shucks with maybe an ear of corn down in a bucket with some water inside. I never seen anyong make them a custom made ramp. On the farm here we do have some gophers that are like small sqirrels and I had rats nest both in the radiator and under the fule tank cover. Mine does not have a cab.

  6. #6pointrow2011-12-05 20:14

    I use pitch packs of poison. At least 2 different brands and a lot of them. Can't let the supply run out to be effective. Also bar bait in 3' lengths of 2" or 3" pvc with a tee in the middle to hang the bait from. Place along walls and runs so the critters can eat in private. Good Luck!!!