Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what happened to welding web forum?? any members here too?

Hobbytime ยท 2018-02-14 14:48

for the last few days I have tried to log on to the welding web forum and keep getting messages" Forbidden You don't have permission to access /search.php on this server. Apache/2.2.15 (CentOS) Server at weldingweb.com Port 80" anyone know what happened to the websight? I figured I would post this here as not knowing a better place to ask..

Replies61
  1. #1AllDodge2018-02-14 14:58

    I'm getting the same error. Haven't been on the site in quite a while.

  2. #2RZucker2018-02-14 15:28

    I was going to ask the same thing. I'm getting the same error code.

  3. #3DMiller2018-02-14 16:29

    As with most if had not been updated to a higher windows level or the sponsor base site they just seem to die.

  4. #4Hobbytime2018-02-14 16:34

    the sight was up and running about 4 or 5 days ago, the first message was they were" doing maintenance" then the next day the forbidden message..I wonder if they got hacked..

  5. #5td15c2018-02-14 16:38

    I was wondering the same thing. Sure hope it's not gone for good. It's a good site

  6. #6AllDodge2018-02-14 16:41

    I think the forbidden shows up when the site is taken off line. Similar thing has happened when iboats forum was taken down. Sometimes I would see "doing maintenance" other time forbidden" Might just have something to do with who was hosting and what was available

  7. #7RZucker2018-02-14 16:49

    They sure have had some issues in the last two years, remember when we were doing new passwords every other day?

  8. #8DMiller2018-02-14 16:53

    A lot of site pirating going o these days.

  9. #9Hobbytime2018-02-14 23:47

    yes they lost alot of members then with that fiasco...and then issues running on mobile devices..hopefully it comes back up...

  10. #10Wastepro2018-02-15 08:24

    Thanks to all the HEF sponsors, moderators, amd users. PleSe dont let this site go down!

  11. #11Roustabout92018-02-15 10:14

    I watch that site for entertainment. Before it went down, there was some bickering between members. A member moto-something was being badgered by a JohnT. It went sour when johnt insulted moto and his dad in moto's thread. The site was starting to lose its usefulness.

  12. #12ol'stonebreaker2018-02-15 15:22

    I've been emailing with one of the mods there. He nor anyone else at the bottom of the ladder know what's happening. Mike

  13. #13Hobbytime2018-02-15 16:03

    ok I called penton media in new york, and asked about why welding web went down and they stated 8 of their servers went down, they didnt elaborate if they were hacked, but they stated the welding web was not gone but they are in the process or restoring the servers but gave no time frame for it to be back online, I guess that better than saying they took it down on purpose.. Penton Media, Inc., an information services company, provides tools and information that help business professionals to do their jobs better. The company offers workflow decision tools, business-critical content, data transforming, networking, marketing, and online learning. It also provides AC-U-KWIK, a flight-planning tablet and smartphone application for business aviation pilots; SourceESB, a data tool that provides distributor information; and NEXT Trend, a business intelligence solution that offers pre-shelf product trend data, predictive consumer segmentation, and a concept testing lab for consumer packaged goods companies, retailers, suppliers, and investment firms. In addition, the c... Detailed Description 1166 Avenue of the Americas 10th Floor New York, NY 10036 United States Founded in 1886 Phone: 212-204-4200 Fax: 216-931-9492 www.penton.com

  14. #14Labparamour2018-02-15 18:31

    Thanks for doing the legwork and updating folks. I appreciate the help and information available there. Darryl

  15. #15RZucker2018-02-15 20:17

    I was watching that one too, Motolife13 is a happy go lucky kid that's trying to learn and get ahead in life. John T is an overbearing OCD a@@ with a nice neat hobby shop. I would love to drag him out into the poof dirt on a steep hillside trying to line up 18" pipe and show him the real world of welding.

  16. #16ol'stonebreaker2018-02-15 21:29

    IMO Johnt is some of the chaff you have to deal with to get the wheat. Mike

  17. #17OMB2018-02-25 10:53

    All sites have that sparing going on, with WW it is limited to a couple of threads and it will die out after the posters trade a couple of shots. The mods there have tossed a few bad apples and sidelined more for 1-4 weeks to let them cool down. There have been times a mod or member will call out bad behavior, the offender will come back and explain he had a bad day, then apologize... life goes on. If that crap gets to you simply block the posters that don't deserve your attention. IMO WW is one of the best run sites out there.

  18. #18MinnesotaDave2018-02-25 20:30

    Hi guys From head moderator Zap

  19. #19Ronsii2018-02-25 20:36

    Hi MD

  20. #20MinnesotaDave2018-02-25 20:57

    This website is cool!! I already learned new stuff here

  21. #21Labparamour2018-02-25 21:11

    MD, Great to see you here! Thanks for the update. This and WW were my two main sites for surfing... Hope to see you back there soon. Darryl

  22. #22RZucker2018-02-26 20:23

    Good to see you over here Dave, So far WW is not back up. Bummer. At least over here you can't ban me by mistake.

  23. #23MinnesotaDave2018-02-26 21:10

    LOL - good point Still feel bad about that - touch screens are the devil...

  24. #24ol'stonebreaker2018-02-26 22:18

    So, Dave, has anyone enlightened you as to when they'll be back on the web? Mike

  25. #25Roustabout92018-02-26 22:23

    Sparring is a useful physical training excercise. I think the word you meant was debate OMB. Johnt was and has been badgering motolife13 for some time over his secretarial skills. Moto lacks secretarial skill but has good hands and can weld, machine and has mechanic skills. Johnt gives negative advice and " is like the chaf you have to go to get the wheat". I think personal attacks are against the user agreement on that site however, it goes on all the time. Not a big deal for some but badgering and negative advice is a waste of time. On a welding issue: I need help welding a cast exhaust manifold that has a piece missing about the size of a silver dollar. It's from an old case 680. I'm thinking about getting a used kitchen oven in my shop for pre and post heat. Then find a piece of ? To make a fish plate. Anyone got a suggestion for what to use for fish plate or, where to find a manifold ?

  26. #26MinnesotaDave2018-02-26 22:37

    Unfortunately the last I heard was it would likely be today. Doesn't look like that'll happen I guess.

  27. #27RZucker2018-02-27 21:26

    No harm, no foul. That was a spam storm that day. Good thing I have a WW text network too.

  28. #28Hobbytime2018-03-01 11:51

    THERE BACK UP AND RUNNING AS OF NOW....YEAH ...well they were, I tried to look at other posts and got bounced to the message that was showing for the last week..so I guess the bugs still need working out, but hey its promising news..

  29. #29RZucker2018-03-01 14:33

    My bet is that you caused a stampede that they weren't ready for.

  30. #30Hobbytime2018-03-01 14:57

    seems to be working well now...gee I always get blamed for the stuff that goes wrong....

  31. #31MinnesotaDave2018-03-02 21:42

    I had to have Zap or DynaSteve fix my log in password. Anyone else need the same? I'll post you guys up on the moderators board if you need help.

  32. #32Fog2020-02-02 23:10

    I did a search "What happened to weldingweb and this was one of the top results. Hope they are back up soon.

  33. #33Ronsii2020-02-02 23:22

    This thread is from the previous crash...

  34. #34Fog2020-02-03 19:52

    So?

  35. #35Ronsii2020-02-03 19:54

    What?

  36. #36AllDodge2020-02-03 20:26

    Unsubscribe

  37. #37MinnesotaDave2020-02-03 20:39

    I don't know what happened on this one either actually. I asked another moderator and he didn't know either. Hopefully it won't be too much longer

  38. #38RZucker2020-02-03 20:55

    I sent Moto a text and he says he didn't do this either.

  39. #39Ronsii2020-02-03 21:38

    Probably the informa guys trying to 'cut fat'

  40. #40gwoade2020-02-04 18:52

    Anybody able to get a hold of Zap to see if he knows anything?

  41. #41Willie B2020-02-04 19:45

    I feel less lost. Half the people I know from Welding Web are here. A sub forum of welding might be the answer.

  42. #42Blocker in MS2020-02-04 20:12
  43. #43Bls repair2020-02-04 20:13

    Brought that up last time this happened. Look in support page2

  44. #44Theweldor2020-02-04 20:19

    I spend a bit of time there also, but you guys must have hurt it bad.

  45. #45Willie B2020-02-04 21:53

    When my father got old he hung out at the Town Garage, not in our town, but the next. 6 old men might sit in worn out lawn chairs picked from the dump. They'd offer solutions to all the world's problems. I thought it was silly! My son gets up insanely early to hang out for "coffee" at his chosen general store. I pis$ away too much time 20 minutes at a time kibitzing on welding web. Meanwhile I've become a damned capable welder.

  46. #46blucllrplt2020-02-04 23:35

    Mainly lurk on WW with only 100+ posts. Might have to think up something to say here. Always got a good chuckle out of the political forum.

  47. #47MinnesotaDave2020-02-05 13:36

    I did ask him, he is not in the loop either unfortunately...

  48. #48_Dom2020-02-05 16:13

    Yes, this site was great last time. I was ready to signup when WW came back online so I never did. I am troubleshooting a Maxstar 200 and could really appreciate some help.

  49. #49digger242j2020-02-05 17:48

    I don't know whether we want to add a forum specifically for welding, but I'll be sure to raise the question with Steve. In the meantime, it certainly wouldn't be inappropriate to discuss any welding topics here in our own "Shop Talk" sub forum. -Dom, welcome to HEF, and if you'd like to start a thread to get that help, feel free.

  50. #50Willie B2020-02-05 19:43

    I'd be surprised if there weren't substantial similarities between those interested in welding, mechanics, heavy equipment, and fabrication. God knows I am. Add woodworking, machining, timber framing, ALL machinery, and family, We don't need forums. Already had all these thoughts. I'm probably grouping myself with the gender not yet chosen group. I can't remember who won the Superbowl! Honest, I'm a heterosexual male, just fall asleep when conversation goes to televised sports.

  51. #51DMiller2020-02-05 20:07

    Do quite a bit of all the above too. I am not a master at any nor am I gonna say get things perfect but look good when done and functional.

  52. #52_Dom2020-02-06 17:58

    Thanks Digger, I may start that thread, need to make a good faith attempt at understanding the problem before I start asking questions. It seems like it should be solvable but parts could run into money.

  53. #53Bls repair2020-02-06 21:02

    Has to be some interest ,my thread heavy equipment welding repair.had 1905 views

  54. #54MarshallPowerGen2020-02-07 11:36

    A forum on here for welding/welder repair wouldn't be a bad thing. I just recently jumped on WW after referring to old posts there to fix up my cheap Weldanpower, and pretty much just tried to help folks there with engine/generator/wiring issues (and lurked in the sometimes shitshow of Mechanic's Park)

  55. #55RZucker2020-02-07 19:21

    Ah yes... Mechanics park. "I just bought a 20 year old diesel pickup"...

  56. #56Ronsii2020-02-07 19:22

    LOL!!!!!!!

  57. #57RZucker2020-02-07 19:26

    Been a few other Humdingers there too.

  58. #58MarshallPowerGen2020-02-07 19:52

    Exactly.

  59. #59MinnesotaDave2020-02-08 14:48

    Found this on HVAC-talk website: "HTalk was sold to Endeavor along with dozens of other forums in the mechanical industry in December. All of these sites were pushed over to the new owners host except the VB sites such as us and Welding Web. Our database was on AWS still owned by our old owner Informa. A Informa tech thought all the sites were gone so he deleted HTalk and the AWS database. That unfortunate act is what caused all this. I am not sure where they found a copy of the database but they did and it took a while to find it. My thoughts were that AWS had a backup and gave it to us. Anyway, our new owner may not have the ability to build a VB site on their host. They also thought it would be a good idea to upgrade. That's another unfortunate act... When the company VBulletin updated the database to the newest version a lot of things broke. We knew this would happen and did not want to upgrade, we told them but was out of our hands."

  60. #60Ronsii2020-02-08 14:52

    Bummer...... kinda wondered when nothing was changing and the only thing I saw up was informa's...

  61. #61digger242j2020-02-08 18:24

    Since there are currently two different threads running about the problems over there, and that confuses Digger, let's shut this one down and continue any further discussion in the more current one: HeavyEquipmentForums