Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What happens to your scrap conveyor belting?

Serv ยท 2009-04-05 14:29

Does this stuff just sit around somewhere and collect dust? Does it get buried? Do people charge to haul it off? I need some in case anyone knows of any around Texas. I can haul up to 50k or so pounds if they can top load my open top trailer. :drinkup

Replies24
  1. #1qball2009-04-05 20:35

    we feed it to the horses.

  2. #2cps2009-04-05 20:47

    Feed it to the horses???

  3. #3qball2009-04-05 21:02

    oh, sure, they love it. a little b utter, a little lemon.....

  4. #4Turbo218352009-04-05 21:12

    Any time I worked around conveyor belts, we just patched them. Then again, we were shoving 30 foot long pieces of rebar through the jaws, straight down into the belts. Owner never could figure why we had so much downtime on that crusher. He was the one that wanted us to send all that big bar through that crusher.

  5. #5Bob Horrell2009-04-05 22:31

    I use conveyor belt to line the bed on my equipment trailer. It lasts a couple of years and then I replace it. When I replace it, the wood on the bed looks like new.

  6. #6Pecord Exc2009-04-05 23:00

    we use it when we have to track the excavator down a driveway or across a road and we keep a few pieces on the trailer to go between the steel over the tires and the tracks on one of the excavators or loader.

  7. #7Cmark2009-04-06 21:32

    We used it to make skirt-rubbers, hopper-liners, discharge chutes...... There's a hundred uses for old conveyor belt when you're running crushers and screens....

  8. #8dirt digger2009-04-06 21:39

    i don't know what the underground coal mining looks like down in Texas....pretty non-existent i would imagine...but they have miles and miles of it...you could call them and find out when they are doing a belt change...tone of them up here in PA and WV

  9. #9EZ TRBO2009-04-07 07:54

    I'll second that, we usually never toss much out its always used for covers, liners, tracking machines across roads, even works as work mats out in the field, bed liner, etc. Trbo

  10. #10Serv2009-04-07 18:00

    It's no wonder I'm having trouble finding this. Too many end users out there. I did call Martin Marietta in San Antonio the other day and they told me they disposed of no less than 60 roll-off container loads of this last fall to satisfy the environmental beaurocrats of texas. ointhead The reason I need some is I started making dock bumpers as a side business. I have enough material to get by for a little while. I'll find some somewhere as I've established some pretty good leads in the last few days. Thanks!! :drinkup

  11. #11Serv2009-04-07 18:08

    Thanks, I will look into that. I need about a mile and a half of it

  12. #12Knucklehead2009-04-07 21:54

    We have 57 miles underground and growing!!!!!:drinkup I almost forgot, On sunday they are going to be replacing our slope belt,I am not sure how long it is,but it is going to be close to a mile long. I work for American Coal in Galatia IL. Not sure who you would talk to about getting the old belt, but here is a link to the corporate website if you are interested http://www.murrayenergy.net/index.shtml

  13. #13Dualie2009-04-08 03:10

    I been looking for some to line the stall isles in the barn lately and haven't found any. Any one in California have a source on this stuff. every one i knew in quarrying is retired or has since passed on.

  14. #14Shamrock2009-04-14 15:58

    Be careful with that stuff eh. It gives off some pretty deadly gases if it catches on fire. The Neoprene or PVC isn't actually flammable but if the Carcass goes up and heats the belt the gases it puts out have over 55% Chlorine in them. I'm Mine Rescue at work and they tell us the least deadliest gas in one of these incidents is Carbon Monoxide!

  15. #15Redbug2009-04-14 19:39

    What kind of tool do you use to cut all that belt, Serv?

  16. #16alan627b2009-04-16 16:41

    Serv, haven't heard from you in a while...how did your scraper hunt turn out? Do you own a fleet of 637C's yet? Alan627b

  17. #17cowdogteamroper2009-04-29 10:25

    where can i find one? I sure can use them. It would be nice to get some. any info is great.

  18. #18Serv2009-05-02 12:17

    I made some dies and use a hydraulic press to punch through the belting. Hi Alan! I've been very busy and haven't had much time to do anything else besides work 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week. I haven't found anything within a reasonable distance yet. Unfortunately, the distance is my main deciding factor when shopping for monsters. My clark is still kicking butt though. I'm getting top loaded by a new 980 and using the clark only as a haul vehicle lately. I did find a twin engine 637 water wagon (within a reasonable distance) that might be cheap. :beatsme wanna see pics? find one what? A conveyor belt?

  19. #19Serv2009-05-02 12:24

    here's one of my dies. I designed them about ten years ago and just got around to using them.

  20. #20alan627b2009-05-03 19:00

    By all means serv, throw these pics on the forum. Probably ought to stick them in the scraper section! Alan627b

  21. #21cowdogteamroper2009-05-04 09:54

    find one what? A conveyor belt? Yes A Conveyor belt

  22. #22Fortin2013-12-11 13:02

    Dear Serv, We have the belts that you require, do you still need them? Kindly email us @ (Email address edited) Thanks.

  23. #23kshansen2013-12-11 19:01

    I know this is a very old topic but first time I've seen it. One thing I didn't see is a use a neighbor of our stone quarry wanted some for a few years back. This guy had a private target shooting range in his side yard and he also reloaded his own shells. What he did with the belting we gave him was cut it into about two foot squares and then hung several of these about an inch apart. These were hung over a sand box. Making a loose stack then put his target on the one closest to him. Then when he was done shooting for the day he would recover the spent lead either picking out of the belting or sifting the sand like a kitty litter box.

  24. #24D&GExcavating2014-01-22 18:42

    We lay down old conveyor belting on the shop floor whenever we bring tracked equipment into the shop. Occasionally we will use it for mud flaps (on road graders and loaders). We also put old conveyor belt pieces underneath diesel transfer tanks in the back of our pickups.