Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is a CTL, MTL, and SSL?

gdmason76 ยท 2008-09-03 16:23

Hey guys, I was doing some reading on here and I got really curious as to how YOU define the differences between a CTL, MTL, and SSL (other than the obvious) . It really interests me in how many different manufacturers market these machines and what they accomplish for you. More specifically, what you believe each of these machines are best used for and what they are NOT to be used for. Cheers :drinkup

Replies5
  1. #1mouse2008-09-04 04:54

    compact track loader mini track loader skid steer loader. too many questions for this person to answer re manufacturers and markets. if you cannot pick the correct application for (say) a mtl v a ctl then you miss the obvious at a guess. have you tried talking to someone who sells all 3 about your application. btw the category missing is the aws like the toolcat or a300....

  2. #2gdmason762008-09-04 08:03

    My apologies, I guess I should clarify on the acronyms. CTL = compact track loader MTL = multi terrain loader (Caterpillar) SSL = skid steer loader

  3. #3pwrstroke6john2008-09-04 15:44

    well then what about the new caterpillar compact track loaders theres a 279c, 289c, and a 299c? they still have the multi terrain loaders too.

  4. #4hvy 1ton2008-09-04 17:43

    Cat considers the MTL's as the track loaders that use the asv undercarriage. The CTL's use a new undercarriage that Cat designed for them. I can't remember the details but i'll try to get them later. Other than that it two names for the same thing.

  5. #5pwrstroke6john2008-09-04 19:37

    thats what i was thinking with the sale of asv to terex, but i wasnt sure. they seem to have tracks more like the bobcats too.