Have a 2013 Cat 349EL with about 12,000 hours on it. Been noticing it has been making a mess around the turntable/slew ring area. I can clean this area off and it comes back pretty quickly. Almost seems like its a oil/grease mix of some sort. Machine does have an auto-lube system on it if that makes much difference. I did check the oil level in both of the swing boxes and they were right at the full mark. Any ideas where this could be coming from? Thanks!
I don't know with what you gave us, but I would suspect a possible problem with the swivel assembly. That can leak hydraulic oil into the cavity. pull the inspection plate and look down in the cavity. check on what you have there.
Good day Are you loosing any hydraulic fluid that appears to be a dilution of grease & fluid? Kind regrds Uffex
A cheap bandaid fix that is not correct is-.drain the oil out of the swing transmission, heat up a bunch of grease ,with just a bit of gear oil in enough that it will barely pour in. I've done it years ago, it lasted my remaining time with that machine for a couple more years almost. It will stop the leak, but its not a 'repair'
Yes it appears I am loosing some hydraulic fluid. Are you thinking possibly a leak with the swivel assembly? Thanks!
take a look in the inspection holes as I suggested. it is a two bolt cover on my JD. The hydro oil will be on top and pretty obvious.
Good day Tyler Yes that is one possible cause also take a look at the condition of the swing transmission lube, it has happened that hydraulic fluid has forced through from a failing motor seal. Normally you will be able to see leakage from the central joint from the underside. Normally the transmission lube should be a heavy oil not hydraulic fluid. Kind regards Uffex
Thanks, Will definitely look into this
Good day illustration may help. Kind regards Uffex
would it not push oil out the gearbox vent/fill?
If your swing gearbox level is changing or full of hydraulic fluid two things have happened. The swing motor seal has failed and is pushing hydraulic fluid into the gear box and the gear box seal has failed and is then leaking the fluid into the tub. I have seen this once. What is far more likely is the upper o-ring on the center swivel has failed and is leaking into the tub. This is far more common to me on Cat excavators. I don't know the procedure of changing that one but they aren't that much fun usually. You have to drain the diluted grease out through the hole in the bottom of the tub accessed through the bottom of the undercarriage and then try to refill it with however much grease you think it might take through the hole in the top between the boom cylinders.
So this is what I found today. Definitely a mix of hydraulic fluid and grease. Like I said before I checked both swing gearboxes and the oil is right at the full mark on the dipstick... Looking like its going to need a center swivel repair! Also would anyone on here be able to look up the estimated labor/cost to do that job on this machine? Thanks!
I'm sure glad that is your problem and not mine.
Curious on your thoughts...
My thoughts are this is going to be a PITA to do it right. You need to clean all that gunk out of there, pull and service the swivel, and put the grease back right. Hopefully this leakage has not caused a problem with the Rotek seal where the stuff is leaking out, in your first pictures. This is the "easy way" to get that gunk out
So are we all agreeing this has to be coming from the swivel?
I’m not sure if it is or not, but it is slightly less expensive and labor intensive than pulling both swing reducers. You might consider contacting your dealer and ask about any updates for your problem.
Good day Pulling the transmissions would make cleaning og the slwing bearing pan much easier. Kind regards Uffex
Piece of advice- if you do wind up with the swing transmissions out of this machine, make damn sure you get the bolts to the proper torque going back in. Loose swing transmission bolts will cause frame issues that get very labor intensive to repair.
I don't know how hard it is to get the swivel out of that particular machine but it has three rubber o rings in the bottom 3 grooves that separate the passages for the 2 speed travel and case drain circuits. The rest of the seals are the high pressure seals that separate the drive motor passages. What I have seen happen is the rubber o-ring gets worn and pushes oil into the tub. The o-ring looks fine when you get it out but it is flat on the inside diameter where it rides. # 8 are the o-rings I am talking about. One thing I would do is cut the case drain filter open and inspect it for metal. If the case drain pressure is up because of a failed drive or swing motor (I am assumingt they are Tee'd together at the swivel like I am used to but may not be) that could be causing your leak in which case you have to reseal it and fix whatever is putting metal in the system. Hopefully you can leave the center in the machine and just pull the barrel off it if you decide to go after it. This picture is of a TFG prefix 349EL, I took a guess at that so it might not be what you got.
Skyking1, That was a decent video. BTW, back in 1990, in Golconda, NV. Every Sunday evening, I would crawl into a similar grease cavity on this P&H 2250 and scoop out a drum worth of black NLGI#2. Because I was the new guy and the only fella that could fit. Lol. Gold Fields Operating Co., Chimney Creek mine.
Wow Coaldust. I suppose every sunday you threw away a set of coveralls that the company supplied?
Lol, yup, a tyvek suit or rain gear & slip on rubber boots. With all the openings taped closed. No second shift on Sunday’s so the girl got maintenance on that night.