Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is the Difference between Gasoline 10w-40 and Diesel 10w-40, Big Screw Up

cvconstruction ยท 2015-01-20 09:20

I was a gallon and a half shy on my hydraulic fluid for my Mustang MTl25, so I put in some 10w-40, just like the tank says, not looking to see if it was gasoline or diesel brand. Turns out I read on the jug for gasoline engines. Should I drain my tank and replace with diesel 10w-40, or what should I do?

Replies6
  1. #1AllDodge2015-01-20 09:29

    The gas/diesel oil difference pertains to when used in the engine not hydraulics. I don't see you have a problem

  2. #2bobcan2015-01-20 14:31

    ^ Agreed _ until some Petroleum Expert chimes in here, I will say that I suspect the differences are more likely for Combustion Chamber/ Cleaning purposes, not Lubricity in a Chain Drive capacity.. but that being said, a call to your local Bulk Fuel Supply service should dispel any concerns.. I should think!!

  3. #3mitch5042015-01-20 15:52

    The difference is that the diesel oil has additives to neutralize the higher level of acid that diesel engines put into their engine oil. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about some gasoline spec engine oil in a hydraulic tank.

  4. #4apetad2015-01-20 15:58

    Mustang approves any high quality high detergent 10w30 15w40 (depending on the ambient temperature chart) for use in the MTL hydraulic system.

  5. #5cvconstruction2015-01-20 22:53

    I appreciate every one helping me on this one.. I was dreading draining the entire system over a gallon and a half. Is that a manual I see, I wish I had one. they are very hard to find

  6. #6apetad2015-01-21 12:56

    Operators manual MTL16 20 25 all in one book Mustang Part number 908306 about $35 plus shipping Amy Mustang dealership can order it for you. You can contact us here if you would like to order one, we can drop ship anywhere in USA http://austinpowerequip.com/